BR-600 - hate amp models - alternatives?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by buddyboy, Jul 9, 2008.

1. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

I've been using my BR600 for awhile now. Great machine, but I'm not a fan of any of the built in amp models. Yes, they're tweakable but I'd rather search for a better alternative.

I'm kinda a "plug and play" guy, so I'm not up on the latest devices out there. Are there any cool units that I can plug my guitar and bass into and have the option of choosing multiple amp/cab models that have great tone, which I can plug into the BR600?

2. Old Fuzzface

Old Fuzzface Member

I'm kind of in the same boat in that I find the on-board amp sims need a lot of tweaking to get something useable.

I haven't bothered with other modellers though - if I want better tones than the on-board I tend to just stick a mic in front of an amp.

3. Strat335

Strat335 Member

They're tweakable? Is that right? I never read the manual and don't have one. I know it's downloadable, I just haven't done it. I had no idea you could tweak any of the presets.

As soon as I get a harmonic converger (whatever the hell that really is) I am going to try running my GT-8 through it.

4. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

Apparently you can tweak them. In practice though, tweaking via the BR600 itself is sort of a PITA. I'm thinking a good plug in processor/modeler-type thingie might be easier and have better/broader range of options.

5. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I bought a used original version Vox Tonelab that seems to have a bunch of good tones in it, could easily use that into my BR600 clean rather than using one of the built in Boss models. I found it very reasonably priced used...

6. kselbee

kselbee Member

Ya, the modeller on the 600 isn't the best (but I find it acceptable for bass parts). The Vox is probably the best modeller I've heard (though I have yet to hear the Axe FX). Another consideration is something like the Damage Control Womanizer. It's a tube preamp with cab simulation (or it can be used like a regular distortion pedal). I've used it for recording direct with pretty good results.

7. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

THis is my technique as well.

8. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>I haven't bothered with other modellers though - if I want better tones than the on-board I tend to just stick a mic in front of an amp.

THis is my technique as well<<

Works for me, too.

But for those whose life prohibits this simplest of techniques (apartments, cranky wife/relatives, etc), and who aren't using computers, I'd say just get an Axe FX if you have the dough, or you might try the new Waves hardware thingy (I'm not a fan of the Pod but that's an option as well).

To my way of thinking, once you've decided not to record the actual amp, you've started down a slippery slope... ;)

But sometimes that's necessary!

9. froglord

froglord Member

How about one of the Tech 21 Sansamp pedals?

10. Old Fuzzface

Old Fuzzface Member

True, if digital modelling is not you're thing, there's still the various Sansamps, the H&K Tubeman and the Morley/Session JD-10 out there.

11. lespaulreedsmith

lespaulreedsmith Member

where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains
    I am a modeler connisseur' (don't tell the guy's on the other sections of the forum cause I don't want a hassle from them...:worried kidding... btw I own and have owned numerous tube amps)

I have owned or still own the following...

Korg AX10G and other Korg modelers
    Boss GT5, GT6, GT8 and other Boss modelers
    Zoom G9.2tt and other Zoom modelers
    Line 6 POD and other Line 6 modelers and amps
    AdrennaLinn 1 and 2
    Vox ToneLab LE and other Vox units
    DigiTech GNX4 and other Digitech modelers (I still own 2 of the GNX4's, one for live and one for studio)
    M-Audio Black Box
    Behringer V-Amp 2 and Vampire amplifier head

Anyway, I believe modeling has it's place and I have looked and tried I believe most products from every manufacturer except Fractal Audio (what ever unit that is but I heard it was really good here on the forum).
    My recommendations for best and quickest sound direct to tape (or hard drive) has been... are ya ready?

#1-Behringer V-Amp 2
    #2- M-Audio Black Box

Yeah, I know... blasphemy. Yeah, it's been a 'Holy Grail' search but hey, it's my money (ok, and my wife's) and even though I still am wanting to put a pedal board together and put it through the front end of my VHT PittBull head (back to my 80's memories) I still use digital for the sheer convenience of it.
    I also believe 99.95% of Joe Schmoe's out front can't tell or don't care about the difference of digital vs. tube. And putting guitar to tape? Ok, is it for a cd release or demo?
    C,mon. Get a decent facsimile by whatever method you choose to the recording be it digital or miced amp IMHO if it's a demo...
    Oh, and yeah, of course tweak ANY device to make it sound it's best please! Most presets are the worst as most people know...

Anyway, Behringer V-Amp is my 'go to' for practicing and fast recording modeler...

12. goodsal

goodsal Supporting Member

I've tried a lot of methods of recording using the BR-600. The best results for me by far have been via the line out on my Fender Super Champ XD through a Palmer PDI-09 speaker simulator into the mic input on the BR-600.

13. Clumsy Fingers

Clumsy Fingers Member

I don't know if it's available for your set-up, but after trying almost everything short of the Waves GTR system, I'm convinced that IK has it pretty close w/ Amplitube 2.

The one thing I find with all modelers is that super-saturated tones just never sound real, and Amplitube is no different. However, the low- to medium crunch sounds are pretty nice, and much better than anything else I've tried. NI's Guitar Rig is a close second, and offers more glitz, though it's not quite as amp-like.

14. DIXØN

DIXØN Member

Some PC software called ReValver II is good for amp modelling, better than any standalone outboard unit about (obviously, because it has more processing power available), I think it comes as a VST plugin for whatever recording software you like to use.

15. TNO

TNO Member

Tweaking the Br600s models is pretty easy to do. I don't like modelers but I've been surprised how decent it can sound.