• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Brad Paisley/Keith Urban/John Mayer Amp

Chrismo

Hey guys,

I'm on the hunt for a new amp that would be tonally in the ballpark of Paisley/Urban/Mayer. I know the first two lean more British style but I've heard some great Mayer-esque tones from those types of amps too.

I'm kind of interested in the Z Wreck Jr. and Maz 18 from Dr. Z but not sure if I should be looking at any other options. Hoping y'all can chime in.

Thanks!

BradleyCB

Wide variety of sounds there. If you watch rig rundowns, Urban used the clean channel of Dumble ODS amps until more recently. He has switched to HP tweed twins now, though running them pretty clean.

Mayer uses clean, high headroom amps. And normally a combination of different ones live.

But the common denominator for all three artists seems to be players who use pedals for their lead tones.

Reactions: C-4

big mike

Platinum Supporting Member
Paisley is British
Urban is tweed/thicker mid fender
Mayer is blackface

better off getting a twin or something with some ‘foundation’ pedals to get the other tones.
Or pro, super, deluxe, depending on your needs

Z does great stuff, if he has something black faced vibe that would work. But if you go British to start he tough to nail the Mayer tones imo.
That said a good player doing his part can likely get close enough with either

PhilC

Two Rock traditional clean with a Ceritone Centura and a BB Preamp will take care of Meyer and Urban's recent stuff. Then add in a J Rockett High Top for Paisley and Urban's Matchless era (Golden Road) stuff. Brightening up a warm clean for Paisley would be easier than taking a Dr. Z or matchless and trying to make it sound like a warm fender imo.

big mike

Two Rock traditional clean with a Ceritone Centura and a BB Preamp will take care of Meyer and Urban's recent stuff. Then add in a J Rockett High Top for Paisley and Urban's Matchless era (Golden Road) stuff. Brightening up a warm clean for Paisley would be easier than taking a Dr. Z or matchless and trying to make it sound like a warm fender imo.
Yeah top boost in a can into a fender toned amp will nail the paisley stuff

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Wide variety of sounds there. If you watch rig rundowns, Urban used the clean channel of Dumble ODS amps until more recently. He has switched to HP tweed twins now, though running them pretty clean.

Mayer uses clean, high headroom amps. And normally a combination of different ones live.

But the common denominator for all three artists seems to be players who use pedals for their lead tones.
Yup......

sst70

Consider the Z-lux by Dr. Z. Sort of his version of the Deluxe reverb. Has a tone bypass pedal switch that will give you more or a tweed sound. Also has Tremolo which is hard to find on a amp these days. I would not get a Maz Jr if you are going for any of these type of sounds. I know people says the Maz Jr is Voxy but I completely disagree. Would go for the Z wreck junior over the Maz.

bobcs71

It isn't the signature tone but I have seen all 3 of them use a Fender Deluxe Reverb. Add:
Wampler Paisley Drive (Brad)
Mesa Flux Drive (Urban)
Klone (Mayer)
& an Aquapuss delay

mixn4him

Silver Supporting Member
And no disrespect at all intended but ALOT of practice too, all 3 are monster players with very different techniques..All 3 do play very heavy right handed, that impacts the tone more than you would think..

BadAssBill

southofnash.com
Gold Supporting Member
I gigged with a Zwreck for 5 years and recently had to sell it. Once things turn around I'll be getting another. It's just an amazing amp, even at lower volumes it's got tons of punch. From what you described...it's just what you're looking for tone wise.

stratpaulguy86

Silver Supporting Member
I echo those that mentioned a clean foundation + pedals as thats the most practical way to go.

You could go Fender/ Two-Rock and then add some AC30-type pedals or an AC30 and add some Fender/Dumble style pedals.

AC30- Wampler Black '65, Wampler Ego Compressor, Hermida Zendrive, Ibanez TS808, some kind of spring reverb, and an analog echo.

Fender Deluxe Reverb- Wampler Ace Thirty or Paisley Drive, Wampler Ego Compressor, Hermida Zendrive, Ibanez TS808, some kind of analog echo.

Either rig would more than get the job done.

madhermit

The Dr. Z MAZ is his ‘gumbo’ (as he calls it) of Fender, Marshall, and Vox. Sounds almost perfect for those 3 players combined.

Trending Topics