Brad Paisley last night

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by wleeds, Feb 14, 2009.

1. wleeds

wleeds Member

I Saw Brad Paisley last night in Hamilton.
    Man he can play and his band is killer. Forget that it is country for those that don't like it, the musicianship and fun factor is 10 out of 10.
    He seemed to hint at so many of his influences by throwing little signature song licks in here and there. Played an awesome acoustic version of Layla.
    A very humble fun loving guy that can play his a** off.

:BEER

2. BBSuggs

BBSuggs Gold Supporting Member

Damn straight. He rips up a Tele, doesn't he? There are times when I want to go tweak his tone, but his technique is awesome. Some corny lyrics too, but when you're at his level, you get away with it. Same as Toby Keith in that sense.

But the bigger question? Would I pay to see Paisley? You're really pushing me outside of my comfort zone now. Doubt I would, unless he played at Billy Bob's or a similarly accessible venue. I don't fight today's crowds -- for anyone!

3. wleeds

wleeds Member

Lyrics are cheesey but I get lost in the band and arrangements.
    Fun fun rock and roll

4. patl

patl Member

I've got tickets to see him in a couple of weekends. First country show I've paid to see in... decades? Probably. Intentionally driving farther to a smaller town rather than braving the Seattle/Tacoma mess to see him in the big concrete dome.

5. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I've seen him live twice and have his albums...but Brad, for the love of God, turn down the delay!

Too much ping-ponging and byonging all over the place.

6. paul1122

paul1122 Member

I have always read good thing about him. It's too bad he tries to sell me everything under the sun.

7. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

Actually, those corny lyrics are what GOT him to that level. He was just another "me too" country singer until he hit it big with "I'm Gonna Miss Her". Since then he's had a string of wildly sucessful, "corny" songs. They may be corny, but they resonate very strongly with the country music crowd, and have given him the kind of popularity necessary for a mainstream artist to be able to put out a cd like "play".

I saw Brad play in September. It was a hugely entertaining show and his guitar playing was stunning. This concert was right after Jerry Reed died, and Brad played Eastbound & Down. The only disappointment of the show was that he didn't play Throttleneck (he played one of the instrumentals off his new cd instead) and he didn't play Little Moments, which happens to be my wife & my wedding song, and we actually saw him play on our anniversary, so we were really hoping to hear it.

We were fortunate enough to have 3rd row seats (and 2nd and 3rd seat in from the center stage extention). We were so close that all of his guitar sound was coming direct from the Dr Z amps that were mic'ed on stage. The tone was incredible.

8. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

Even if you don't like country, if you're a guitar player you can appreciate Brad Paisley. That guy is a true "guitar hero" no matter what style he's playing.

He's also a true tone monster and one of the few artists that when he has a new album out, I'll buy it before I hear one track.

9. Bankston

Bankston Member

Brad's an amazing player and that's worth the price of admission. I just would like to hear him dig deeper and write something other than novelty songs. 'Cause I think he's got it in him to be one of the all-time greats.

10. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

He had a few on his earlier albums and a couple recently. I think as he grows older and matures more as a writer and player he'll do so. For now, he's just having a blast and I can't blame him for that!

11. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

Take a look at his older material (Part II is a great album) or his newest one Play. They're both less Nashville than some of his more recent material.

12. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

Ha...
    The Jeff Gordon of country music.

13. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Silver Supporting Member

Do you mean he's rich, good looking and married to smoking hot wife? If so, I aspire to be the Jeff Gordon of The Gear Page!

Brad Paisley has easily been one of the greatest shows I have ever seen. Great band, great tone and he wasn't just phoning it- he was THERE.

As an aside, if you haven't done it yet, check out the clips of his Crossroads show with John Mayer that are up on Youtube-

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  14. javahut

javahut Member

All of his songs aren't "novelty" songs. Granted, there's a few. But most of his tunes have very clever word play in them. He's actually one of the best collaborators and lyricists... songwriters... in country music. It'd be much worse if they were ALL sappy country love songs.

And you wanna tweak his tone? Good God, he's got one of the coolest, beefiest country twang tones ever, IMHO.

15. Bankston

Bankston Member

I'd like to hear more honest emotions in the lyrics over clever word play. Like I said, he's got it in him. Just would like to hear more of that and less of the Tick kind of tunes.

But no matter what the song is, I will listen just for the guitar playing. And I agree his tone is to die for.

16. BBSuggs

BBSuggs Gold Supporting Member

Yes, I sure do. There are some tunes he does where the tone is weak. Don't get me wrong. He smokes the Tele and those clean chops. But the leads on his ballads just don't do it for me. I don't know what he's using to get his tone and distortion: a pedal, the Z, I dunno. But it's weak.