Brad Paisley live

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jbd3, Feb 12, 2012.

1. jbd3

jbd3 Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear Silver Supporting Member

Just got back from seeing Brad Paisley live at the Tacoma Dome, near Seattle. Holy crap. What a show. I've never seen a country show before, unless you count John Denver when I was 10--my last three shows were Russian Circles, Weezer, and the Hold Steady--so I didn't really know what I was in store for.

All of my expectations were exceeded. Incredible show. It was a very slick production, with amazing lights and all that, and it went off incredibly smoothly... Two hours and it never dragged for a minute. But at it's heart is Paisley himself, who is the real deal. That guy can shred.

And usually when you see a band in a huge venue, you can't really even discern what the guy's tone is, given how gigantic the room is. But you could tonight, and he sounded fantastic. He had a row of Z combos displayed proudly front & center (has such a big star ever been so closely associated with such a boutique piece of gear?) and he'd switch Teles every couple songs, but impressively, you almost never saw the actual switch. He did play a red Strat with a rosewood board on one really pretty song tho.

Have any of you seen him live? I'd love to know what that Tele with the maple board and tortoise-shell pickguard is; he played in on "Alcohol." Just a fantastic-sounding guitar, and probably the most traditional-looking one. I need to check online, see if the lovely Rebecca Dierks ever did a Paisley rig walk-through.

Anyway, if you're on this website, I can say with some confidence you'd enjoy his show. He's a great entertainer, self-deprecating, funny, charming, and energetic. He has a top-notch band (especially the drummer), and he's just an incredible player. The two people I went with aren't guitar players and they both enjoyed it as much as I did.

2. newb3fan

newb3fan Member

I haven't seen him live...yet. I have every intention to though. I read his book over xmas and it was an enjoyable read. I've been working on practicing some material that I guy in his style taught by Doug Seven. I think he's an unbelievably talented player and performer and I look forward to this summer when he comes around philly. Thanks for the review and confirming that I have to go see him.

3. jhumber

jhumber Member

Seen him twice in the UK, playing to 1,500 people in 2010, then 15,000+ the next year. Blew me away both times, just an incredible performer (no to mention guitarist!).

4. Wagster

Wagster Member

That's a real 52 with original pickups.

http://bradpaisley.com/gear

5. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

Go to YouTube and enter his name- you'll find clips where they go through his rig pretty extensively. Also, look for clips or TV shows about the flooding in Nashville last year, when the storage company used for staging just about everyone's tours was flooded and tens of millions of dollars worth of gear was destroyed, including what had been in s Country & Western museum that closed but was using the storage facility until they could get back on their feet. Old instruments and memorabilia from classic Country greats and it was a huge tragedy. Sure, it's only 'things', but they were some of the instruments used to create classic songs.

6. Aidanspaghetti

Aidanspaghetti Supporting Member

I saw him last year here in a small hall with about maybe 400 peoople in attendence!
    I couldn't believe it - he had done a sold out night in a small venue in our capital city and the other gig he did that week was Wembley in the UK =)

He came out, (the crowd was about three people deep at the stage - i kid you not) and gigged as if his life depended on it. Amazing, amazing show.
    After about 2 numbers, Brad heads to the microphone and says " I guess country music's not that popular round here" lol...
    I've always admired him and have all his cd's but to finally see him live was a revelation.

PS My mam and dad traveled to see the show too and Brad made my mothers night when he winked at her and sang "at" her! He also gave his hat to a girl in the audience. Some great photos from that night ..

Ps the "pretty" song with the Strat with the Rosewood board was "waiting on a woman" with a lovely extended solo.

7. lpsunburst

lpsunburst Member

I saw him last summer, I have tickets for this summer, he puts on a top notch show which has something for everyone, he balances the show incredibly well. The visuals are perfect and are there for folks who dont want to be mesmerized by stunning guitar work. I agree with the post above, if you read this board you would really enjoy his show.

8. jbd3

You won't be disappointed with the live show, that's for sure. I'm not crazy about shows in big venues but this was a fantastic gig. What a talent he is, oh my goodness.

Who's this Doug Seven?

9. jbd3

Wow--thanks for the link. I thought that was the best-sounding guitar he had, and I thought I'd see what it was (I figured it was a Crook or something), or at least see what the pickups were... Because of course if I have the same guitar as him, I can sound just like him, right? Of course. But there are no '52 Teles in my future. And it looks all stock, except for the frets and the G Bender. How cool is that, that he tours with a 52 Tele. I guess it's safer than leaving it back in storage in Nashville....

10. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

I saw him twice. His previous tour (H2O) and the current one (Virtual)... Amazing both times. He's the real deal. And he's a gear hound! Very cool tone. I love his rosewoodboard, silver sparkle Tele.

11. JStotes

JStotes Member

I was there last night too. I've seen him before and he's always great, but last night was really incredible. The production was one of the best I've ever seen.

12. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

kinda funny... The one he had at home when he lost them all was the precious paisley tele from the 60s.

Man, I'd LOVE to see him live some day.

13. Ladhilbluesband

Ladhilbluesband Member

What song did he play the strat on? Was it that blue one? and was the song "Then"?

14. jbd3

What was impressive about the production was that it enhanced the actual performance, instead of distracting from it. I go see a hockey game every once in a while and it feels like one stupid gimmick after another, and I just want to watch the game! But the production last night did a lot to make a big venue feel a little smaller. And obviously he's at the top of his game--he made playing a stadium look effortless and fun.

15. jbd3

It was the red one with a rosewood board; an earlier poster said he played it on "Waitin On A Woman." He takes a long solo on that song and it's just breathtaking. I noticed on one of the huge video monitors (I was verrrry far from the stage) he had the Strat on the neck p'up the whole time, so in the acoustics of an arena it's not going to sound all that different from a Tele, but maybe he just wanted a change of pace for a song!

16. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

I've never seen him live, though I would love to. I have enormous respect for any artist who doesn't take their audience for granted, and who gives you everything they have on a nightly basis. Seems like a nice, family guy who's earned his way every step. Good for him.

17. Ladhilbluesband

Ladhilbluesband Member

I LOVE the man's tone for everything he plays just gorgeous.

This is one my favorite solos of his just because I think it's a great example of how he can be real melodic and take his time note for note.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbXh8iy6W8I

18. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

I'm pretty sure its for "She's Everything" =) enjoy!

note: this one isn't the Sienna Sunburst one but its his "strat" song.

19. benderman

benderman Member

My wife and I have seen Brad live about 3 or 4 times over the past few years and he always bring the goods for sure!!! He's got some killer players in his band,not a SLOUCH among them.Go to you tube and search for Time Warp with Brad and his band on the Letterman Show.That is one sick tune all the guys in the band take solo's it will blow your mind, just incredible talent all the way around.One of the Hottest back up road bands out there today,those cat's earn their pay for sure!!!!

20. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

I opened for Brad and band in San Diego about 9 years ago and, you're right, they put on one amazing show. Fantastic musicianship, great songs (imho) and even some comedy. Seriously, that show probably ranks in my top 3 all time best concerts ever.

And while he's probably changed his stage show and gear since those days, I did find it interesting that he had 1 Dr. Z combo amp on stage w/ him during the concert, but behind the stage in rolling racks were at least 3 vintage Fender Deluxes, turned on, cranked up and mic'd up.

And that sounds like his '52 Tele that you described.