• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Brad Paisley On American Idol

Shnook

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone else see this? Can't say I care for the song and the vocals were a 'little pitchy dawg.' Probably one of the strangest BP performances I've seen. Lifeless would be the best word. However, I spied the Trainwreck!

George H

Was just gonna post a "TRAINWRECK" sighting on Idol when I saw your post.

Did you notice the wreck?

Sorry, just noticed you said you saw it.

GH:)

FuzzOff

Anyone else see this? Can't say I care for the song and the vocals were a 'little pitchy dawg.' Probably one of the strangest BP performances I've seen. Lifeless would be the best word. However, I spied the Trainwreck!
Agreed. I've seen Brad a few times live and that was about as bad as it gets. TV mixes are notoriously bad, so the sound probably sucked. He's not the best singer to start with, which he readily admits. He once said "I'm a guitar player that sings between solos."

Not a great single. Just not very well written. I dig Brad, but gotta calls 'em likes I sees 'em.

Shnook

Silver Supporting Member
Agreed. I've seen Brad a few times live and that was about as bad as it gets. TV mixes are notoriously bad, so the sound probably sucked. He's not the best singer to start with, which he readily admits. He once said "I'm a guitar player that sings between solos."

Not a great single. Just not very well written. I dig Brad, but gotta calls 'em likes I sees 'em.

+1

I wish Brad would have sung between the solos on this one. :rimshot

JohnK24

Silver Supporting Member

Was it a new single off of "Play" or something totally new ? I don't watch AI.
I just wish Brad would drop the Trainwrecks, Z Wrecks & heavier gain amps and return to the Vox AC30s and Dr Z Stingrays...imho his best tone was on his first album.

edit - ok, answered my own question, the song was "Then" from his June 2009 release "American Saturday Night". The song is on iTunes and streaming on his website now.

FuzzOff

I just wish Brad would drop the Trainwrecks, Z Wrecks & heavier gain amps and return to the Vox AC30s and Dr Z Stingrays...imho his best tone was on his first album.

edit - ok, answered my own question, the song was "Then" from his June 2009 release "American Saturday Night". The song is on iTunes and streaming on his website now.
Agree on his tone. His wrecks work great on a few tunes, but his signature tone is missing now. While I love Bruno amps too, not sure Brad sounds his best through a Bruno. I have a Stingray and that's a the signature tone outta the box.

Shnook

Silver Supporting Member

When Brad first started using the Trainwreck I was kind of excited about it. He used it at two of the shows I've seen with him, and it was cool to see a good player tearing it up with a Wreck. Now.... I'm starting to realize I liked his pre-Trainwreck tone a lot better. It used to be 'airy and bouncy' and now it's 'thick and chewy.' For the type of music he plays, I think the Vox/Dr. Z's sound better. That said, I think the Trainwreck sounded good on the songs on Play, but I still prefer the older tones.

JohnK24

Silver Supporting Member
Agree on his tone. His wrecks work great on a few tunes, but his signature tone is missing now. While I love Bruno amps too, not sure Brad sounds his best through a Bruno. I have a Stingray and that's a the signature tone outta the box.
Yep, that wound up AC30 grind...give me "Long Sermon"...that intro with the tele snarl and snap is SO much his tone, but it's all compressed on the past several albums.

reaiken

Gold Supporting Member
I must be losing it - I was more upset that Alexis got voted off the island than I was about Brad's tone... :)

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
I thought it just flat-out sucked.

Seems like they (he) decided he needed another single and it was ballad time so they threw this out there. My wife loved the song but it left me very flat (as did his singing!).

Who was the dude playing the barry? It wasn't Hooker, his main backup guitar player--he was strumming an acoustic.

PUCKBOY99

Gold Supporting Member
I haven't been watching the show, but tuned in to see Brad........I was a little disappointed too. For that venue, he should've came out & kicked it up about 10 notches & blew the doors off that place !

+1 on the signature tone too; I much preferred his earlier twangy stuff :dunno

tone4days

Silver Supporting Member
i have the same comment about brad after seeing him on idol last night that i had after he was on an awards show a few months back and the same comment i had after he was on dancing with the stars around the same time .... he sucks on tv ... it strikes me as though he just flat out hates it and is phoning it in ... and yeah, the new single wasnt ready to come out of the oven ... mostly the lyric is awkward ... as if he isnt quite saying what he is trying to get across ...

he is a helluva player and i am not bagging on him as a performer ... just pointing out that the medium is not a match for the boy

t4d

Doug

In his recent interview in Guitar Player he says that he always insists on playing live. He's gotten big enough that he can make those demands. He said if there are 10 performances on a show, chances are 9 of them are live vocals with canned backgrounds. I have to respect him for playing live, even if his sound on TV suffers for it.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
He sounds live the way he sounds on TV.

Why would playing one song on American Idol with all the time in the world for a soundcheck be any different than playing a concert venue?

Now when there are tons of live acts like on the awards show, I could see the difference. But what Brad sounded like last night is what he sounds like. That's his singing voice.

So I think some people might have an over-inflated view of his ability in this regard.

Timmo

Silver Supporting Member
I really like Brad's playing BUT.........his singing voice SuCkS.
His voice makes my skin crawl.

I can sing better than him and that ain't saying much! :crazy

As for his tone lastnight.............average as hell.
If that's TR tone then I don't get it........:thud

Trending Topics