Brad Paisley's New Camo Crook Tele W/Pics

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by benderman57, Apr 17, 2008.

1. benderman57

benderman57 Member

Howdy,

Benderman57 here. I suppose some of you know that I help Bill applying the Paisley Finish to his guitars. It's all Bill but you need a few extra hands to apply the paisley and that's where I step in. I also own 6 of his excellent instruments and get to test drive most of the guitars that come out of his shop.

I thought I'd share some info and pics of Bill's newest creation with you since I was there and it didn't really get that much exposure on the CMT awards show. Listed below are few of the things Bill did different on Brad's newest Crook. As always this paisley has the excellent McVay G Bender system.

Brad wanted something that brought to mind a Camo look so Bill took all the camo colors and made it a paisley with a flat matt finish. Camo & Glossy just don't mix well.

Next we thought it was time for Brad to have a Custom wound Mini-humbucker at the neck. It sounds awesome to say the least and pairs well with the bridge.

After installing the neck pickup and trying to keep the gloss down Bill decided to forgo the pickguard and use a pickup ring for the mini-humbucker.

For something really different Bill ordered a left handed Callaham bridge drilled for toploading the high E & B Stings. This really makes Bending stings a little easier and softens the ice pick highs a little. We really liked this lot. It also snaps up the low E & A very nicely with the pickup being closer to the saddles.

Brad has really liked the Dimarzio Area T in the last Crook so we went with that again in the bridge.

Other than that itÂ’s the same great guitar Bill builds every time. You can tell when you just strum them acoustically. They ring and sustain forever.

If ya have any questions feel free to ask and I'll make sure to get back with you.

Benderman57

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Damn, that's pretty cool looking.

3. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

4. TB72

TB72 Member

I've been pondering trying the reverse-slant idea with the bridge pickup. I would imagine it might tame the highs a bit and add snap to the low strings. Benderman, have you played this, and can you confirm my hunch?

Later...

5. benderman57

benderman57 Member

Yes it's exactly like that. Plus it tames the highs some. I really, Really liked it. It snaps the lows up but not too much. I also really liked the top loader on the high E & B. This also softened up the highs as well and made the strings a little more slinky and easier to bend. I test drove this one a good bit because of all the things we were trying different. My conclusion was although it was not a huge difference it was very noticeable and I really thought it did what we wanted it to.

It's great when things work out I'd say!

6. Jeffj

Jeffj Supporting Member

way cool & thanks for posting the pics.....just curious...how many Crook's does Brad have now?

7. benderman57

benderman57 Member

I'm not exactly sure but I think the last esquire
    and this one brings him up to around 14 of them. Some he only records with. A Baritone and a 12 string come to mind. I do know that he got the camo last wed. and it made it to some tracks he was laying down for the instrumental CD he's been working on.

8. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

So Benderman can you tell us if he really posts here. Thats been the rumor forever...:band:RoCkIn:RoCkIn:RoCkIn

9. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hey Benderman57 -

Thanks for the pics - I LOVE paisley Teles.

Looks like the one in the pic is set up for a "G" bender - is that the case?

Thanks, Dana O.

10. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for posting this....great info

I was very curious about this guitar

11. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

Yeah, most of Brad's teles have g-benders.

12. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

13. kebotrans

kebotrans Gold Supporting Member

I have one crook and one on the way. Benderman maybe you can tell me if you worked on it yet? Bill loves to keep me in suspense. That Camo look was very cool and stood out on stage. I agree I do not know how he does it but Bill's Teles Sustain forever. It is incredible!! Keep em coming!!

[​IMG]

14. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

Wow, Bill really knows how to make them. That's a great looking guitar.

15. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

Mr. Crook is a master magician with teles and his finishes. He's given me some very good advice in the past. A stand up guy as is Mr. McVay who gave me a tour of his machine shop a few years ago. Both men as masters at their craft and perfectionist. Some day I'll be able to afford my dream Crook Custom...the BuckoCaster !

16. Custom50

Custom50 Member

very cool! I like the green paisley way more than any blue or pink i've ever seen.

17. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

That blue one is incredible looking!

18. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

It even comes close to the Army's new ACU camo pattern.

:band

19. Kelly

Kelly Member

Next time I'm in New Martinsville I'll have to ride up to the shop...

20. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

LOL Paisley and Camo seem so .. counter intuitive! But wow it really looks great the way it came out.
    Always love those Paisley guitars Bill is making!