braggs, fishmandblend or expression sys

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by neastguy, Nov 3, 2005.

1. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

which is the best? birthday is coming up and its time for me to start thinkin accoustic.....thanks...... I do like the taylor 714ce's, anything at that quality level but cheaper in price:D

2. Den

Den Member

The Taylor Expresssion system leaves me (and many others) cold. Others really think it's the best thing going. Let your ears decide.

Dual source systems like the Baggs iMix or the B-Band A2.2 seem to have a lot of happy customers.

If you're looking for something under $1000, the usual suspects include Larrivee and Breedlove Atlas series. Of course the used market has a lot to offer as well.

3. Comfort Player

Comfort Player Silver Supporting Member

K&K Pure Western, great reviews and a good price point. Under $100

4. John Mayes

John Mayes Member

great sounding inexpensive pickups are (in my opinion)

LR Baggs Element Active

LR Baggs Ribbon Transducer

B-Band A1-UST

B-Band A2.2 ust/ast

Fishman natural Matrix 1 (Sound a little tinny to me but lots of people dig em)

5. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

How do ou play when you plug in the acoustic? I actually think the Expression sys sounds good on the first 3 frets. Anything beyond that is awful to my ears. Like if you do your picking over the neck instead of near the soundhole. I've been playing Baggs and fishman(both with pickup and mic systems), and they sound great, but not the most acoustic. I enjoy the sound nonetheless. It probably workse better for the way I play solo arranging as much of the tune as I can onto the acoustic. But I have heard clips of the K&K stuff that make me want to try it. I heard the clips from some link to some Dave guy's website through Shoreline Music's website, with a boatload of comparisons. I have a lot of guitars I use, though, so I wanted to try something passive, and try to use one pre for all the guitars. Ride-on pres are notoriously ******, and I hate having stuff that requires batteries. Supposedly, thought the Expression sys. Pre is the bees knees, but with their pickup, you'd never know it. I flame the Exp. sys. every chance I get.

6. neastguy

i think I'm going to find me a used taylor 714c with a fishman blender or at least something I feel is simliar to that.... I played one at a GC near me last year and loved it....but was way overpriced.... anyhow we have a great accoustic guitar dealer about an hour south of me "wildwood music, coshocton" I'm going to head out there when I'm ready to do the deed....

7. Den

Den Member

I spent some time on the phone with Don there at Wildwood. Great guy ... I'm sure they'll have what you need ... and at tremendously competitive prices as well. Let us know what you find there.

8. neastguy

will do, my bday isnt until Feb, but I'll start looking now, I'll post it when i get it!!

9. Mwoodbro

Mwoodbro Silver Supporting Member

Has anyone tried or heard the Dean Markley Trilogy system?

10. rhys

rhys Supporting Member

i've found my fullest, most true acoustic tone with the imix--blends the element and the ibeam.

for reference i own: a martin w/ a k&k; a lowden w/ fishman prefix and sometimes a sunrise; a santa cruz w/ baggs imix; and i've played plenty of taylors including ones with the expression.