• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Braided Wire + LP Switch + Small Cavity (yeesh!)

Woozy

Take two-conductor braided cable...
Now, try to solder all three braided shields to the ground lug, three hots to their lugs,
then fit that python into a LP swtich cavity without the braided wire touching the hot lugs.

Am I missing something here?

I was wondering if any of you had advice... or pictures would really help.
Do you use a jumper wire to jump from the ground lug to three braided wires soldered together?

Thanks for any info...

Here's the beast in question: (ground lug on left, between two hots)

Ian Anderson

Shrink tubing on the pickup wire connections. Aim your wires down towards the switch tip. Also that is the wrong switch for a Les Paul you need the taller one.

Woozy

Shrink tubing on the pickup wire connections.
I thought of this... it's a solution, but it's surely not original to older LPs, right?
How did they traditionally use braided wire on the switch?

Also that is the wrong switch for a Les Paul you need the taller one.
It could take either, but the shorty nicely clears the wiring hole to other cavities.
Plus, the taller one has the same lug config.

Hmm, regular 22 gauge, two-conductor, insulated wire is starting to sound pretty darn good.

Ian Anderson

I thought of this... it's a solution, but it's surely not original to older LPs, right?
How did they traditionally use braided wire on the switch?
No does it matter? Clean workmanship, and the tabs were bent out slightly, enough to clear. There should be plenty of room for everything to clear. The braid is soldered to the middle ground lug and thats where it is terminated. The main wire then continues over the top of the switch and is soldered to the 2 tabs on the back which are connected together.

bluesjunior

What I tend to do when taking the earth braids to the switch is taper them with a scissors, twist them together prior to fitting and soldering. This avoids unsightly lumps.

Trending Topics