Brain Dead Girl- Within Seconds Of Organ Donation- Gives Thumbs Up Sign

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by DustyRhodesJr, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge Member

HAHAHA I thought the same thing.

2. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

I hate the use of that word in the context of human organ donation.

3. Mr. Hustler

Mr. Hustler Member

Well i guess she approves then.

4. s2y

s2y Member

Follow the money!

5. ANALOG GUY

ANALOG GUY Member

I can't stop thinking about Hammond B3's and Leslie speakers.

6. mango

mango Member

dibs on band name

ANALOG GUY and derekd like this.
  7. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Man, I'm sorry you had this experience with your dad.

Stats say 80% of us will die alone in pain in a hospital. Our frantic need to extend life at all costs coupled with the gargantuan medical industry has led us to a place most do not feel comfortable with.

It is so important to have our wishes made known via a legal doc suitable to your state and your loved ones.

A-Bone and Dr. Tweedbucket like this.
  8. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

How can organ harvesting in the US be driven by money? AFAIK, it's illegal to sell or charge for organ "donations." So that leaves the fees for the hospital, which often go unpaid when someone is uninsured. And even if they are insured, the hospital doesn't get paid for a long time after it's all done. They get paid a fraction of what they bill to the insurance co. I know the figures on the bills are crazy high. But it's not like any one person gets rich off of it or those amounts even get paid in full.

9. elron hoover

elron hoover Member

10. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I guess the argument might be the hospitals and surgeons make a lot for transplant surgeries, and without the organs there can be no surgery. But then we get the happy little accident of saving lives. :)

. likes this.
  11. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

This reminds me of the TV show "Magnum PI".

In the show that was intended to be the finale, Magnum was shot and left for dead in a
    hospital room. All of his friends came to see him one by one for the final time.

The major domo, Higgins, came last and tried a last ditch effort of telling one of his long-
    winded tales to the bedridden Magnum.

Seconds away from the staff giving up, suddenly Magnum sprung up awake, and turned out
    to be ok.

It turned out Selleck agreed to an eighth season, and what was to be his death was altered in a
    plot twist.

But I recall reading at the time that the TV series set back organ donation many years. After
    seeing the way Magnum bounced back, people were afraid to check the donation box on their
    license for fear that a similar thing might happen to them.

12. Structo

Structo Member

Wow, unbelievable.

I hope she recovers fully from that madman's attack.

13. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

If these type stories continue, the old 70's prog band Barclay James Harvest may see fit
    to reunite

14. stratotastic

stratotastic Member

It's not. That's just a flip statement made by cynical and/or paranoid individuals who are not worth listening to.

15. DrakeSequation

DrakeSequation Member

It is driven by money. They cannot charge for the organs, but thy can charge tens of thousands for the procedure. You hear heart-warming stories - most frequently around Christmas - about pro bono medical miracles but the media does not just happen upon these stories. The advertising/public relations budgets for hospitals are astronomical.

16. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

That doesn't explain the profit motive in organ transplants. Hospitals' PR budgets? That drives organ harvesting? Puleeze.

17. DrakeSequation

DrakeSequation Member

"They cannot charge for the organs, but they can charge tens of thousands for the procedure".

That does explain it quite adroitly. They can neither perform nor charge for the surgery without donated organs.

18. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

Tens of thousands? It's probably more than that. But who gets the money? The hospital receives a fraction of what they bill. And the doctors get paid from that, with the staff getting their regular salaries. Sorry, I don't see the profit motive. No one is getting rich off this stuff. The money is spread out among too many players. A successful, high profile organ transplant is worth more in earned media than a hospital spends on PR in a year. Surgeons who do transplants aren't waiting for the next organ donor to help make their car lease or mortgage payment.

19. Exiled_On_Main_St

Exiled_On_Main_St Member

Obviously this story is missing a massive amount of information.

I very much doubt brain stem testing would have been done yet. The more likely case would be that they discussed organ donation with the family in the case of a failed brain stem testing, and when they removed the sedation she started responding once it wore off. People don't start putting giving thumbs up after being declared brain stem dead.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/brain-death/Pages/diagnosis.aspx

Anyway, there's not enough information to make any kind of judgement on organ donation or her case, and the reporting is a bit brief and 'National Enquirer.'

I'm glad she's doing better.

20. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched

All in all a happy ending. Still, makes me wonder what a black-market liver costs, and how that figure compares to, say, a '59 burst.