brand new Callisto Chorus oddities??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by paulikus, May 15, 2015.

1. paulikus

paulikus Member

just got a new Callisto in the mail the other day and have a noticed a couple issues with it:

1) when turning any? of the knobs up past noon, i start to hear a low pitched 'thumping' noise. the speed of the thumping gets faster as you tweek the knobs higher.

2) a few times while playing thru it, I turned the Mix knob up to 100% and the effected sound went away! I rolled the knob back to 0% and up again and the effected sound came back.

Is this normal for this pedal? any other Callisto owners have this problem?

2. Jupiter Tarts

Jupiter Tarts Member

Went to try out my callisto just now because I was curious. I didn't notice any of the low pitched thumping noise. It seems to be running normally through my rig.

Maybe your pedal is underpowered or there's something before your chain that's adding the noise and not playing well with the callisto? That or hopefully it's not a case of you getting a bad one. Try out through different amps or by itself and see if the problem persists in different configurations.

3. paulikus

paulikus Member

there was nothing else in my chain when these problems occur. the Callisto is being powered by a single Boss adapter when I noticed this. I'll plug it into my pedal board - powered by Voodoo Lab power supply and see if it happens with that.

what about the 100% mix knob weirdness. do you have that?
    thanks for the quick reply!

4. Jupiter Tarts

Jupiter Tarts Member

I went back to try the mix knob again. Actually, I did notice something that I didn't notice before. Mine feels like the peak mix is at about dialed in to 2 o'clock and once it goes past that, the signal goes dryer again. It's like the sweep of the knob is a little off. Could just be my ears but maximum chorus seemed to be in that 2-3 area. Maybe it's a quality control thing.

Luckily, I tend to just dial it in to where it sounds good to me and leave it. It's not hurting anyone lol. Still love the sound of my mine.

5. paulikus

paulikus Member

thanks for checking. did you buy yours new? and when? Just got mine Wednesday from MusicToyz.com. other than these 2, issues, I like it. think it is very adjustable and has more going for it sonically (more flexible/diverse) than the Providence Anadime ADC4 I just bought. the mix control on the ADC4 is not very useful. Surprised they couldn't make it more impactful than it is. I barely does anything.

6. Jupiter Tarts

Jupiter Tarts Member

Got mine a few weeks ago actually. Got it used on Reverb for about $140 but came in like new. I was scared because some said the QC on some Catalinbread is a little spotty, but I was relieved when I got mine and realized everything worked as it should (at least until today lol) as well as sounding great.

7. paulikus

paulikus Member

So, I tried the Callisto on my pedal board which uses a diff power supply - Voodoo Lab power - and get the same thumping/beat sounds with knobs turned past 12 noon. though not super loud, it's there. anyone else hear this issue?

8. Kestrel

Kestrel Member

My Callisto had that same low thumping clock noise (powered with a Voodoo Lab PP2+). Wasn't really loud, but it was noticeable.

9. paulikus

paulikus Member

"had" ... you sold it? did you buy this new? when?

thx

10. paulikus

paulikus Member

Update: I returned the Callisto and actually found one in an Allston MA music store which was great! really, none of the problems I had with the 1st one. maybe the white knobs make a difference? 8>) 1st one had black knobs. Anyway, no dropout of sound when mix is at 100%. some clock noise, but it's much less noticeable than the 1st one.

Loving an altered pitch doubling sound I'm getting with knobs set to:

Width = 3 o'clock
    Rate = 8 o'clock
    Density = 5 o'clock
    Mix = 9 o'clock

the sound is similar to the sound Kurt Rosenwinkel gets singing his guitar lines.

11. petty1818

petty1818 Member

My only complaint with my Callisto is that it can be noisy. I actually find the tone to be very similar to my TC SCF which is great. That's unfortunate about the Providence mix knob.. I was hoping to pick one up in the near future.