Brand New Hamel Pickups...Feedback Problem-CURED!! These PU's are amazing!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JKoeth, Feb 17, 2006.

1. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

So I received my new set of Hamel Pickups today. A Broadcaster Bridge and a Tall Neck. The Bridge Pickup is so prone to feedback it's crazy! I can't put my amp past half or use any pedals without high pitched squeal. I used the tubing provided by Alan and have had no luck solving the problem. I must be missing something...Please help.

EDIT: Fixed the problem easily. Read below. Thanks guys!!

2. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

One other way to describe this...

There is EXCESSIVE handling noise when the Bridge Pickup is selected.

I don't get it.

3. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I'd contact Hamel directly.

4. royd

royd Member

you may be seeing the nature of the beast... the best tele bridge pickups are pretty microphonic. or... it could be that this one is just too much so

5. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

It may be the bridge plate as well. A couple of things to try, before you do anything to the pickup itself:

Try rubbing a little wax on the bottom of the bridge plate-it will dampen microphonics.

Try putting a rubber pad (like a cut up mouse pad) under the pickup so that it touches the bottom of the pickup.

After that, the pickup may need more potting for your purposes. A good tele pickup is fairly microphonic....it's a delicate balance between too little and too much.

6. stark

stark Supporting Member

It's air gaps between the bridge plate and the bottom of the pickup. Two choices, hand fit the base plate to the pickup which is quite a bitch, or vacuum wax pot the pickup. I just had my 53' pickup potted and I can stand in front of the speaker with gain and no probs.

Adam Stark

7. blueguitar

blueguitar Member

Don't smell around the same tree too long. If the above advise doesn't get you a fix then look at replacing pots, switches and other wiring. When you step up to a higher grade p/up that has enhanced characteristics the type of problem your having could be elsewhere.

8. leoman57

leoman57 Guest

Before you touch anything contact the maker. Real (old/vintage)tele pickups are like that, as are Gibson PAF's. That's why they are modified from their original specs. The most important thing is making sure the baseplate is secured. Then it's the potting, you need more than the originals had to use pedals and high gain amps. So now you have started to loose the real tele pup sound. That's the nature of tone, it's always a compromise. You have to give up something to get something else. if it's not the pup I would recommend checking your soldering and components in the guitar. Maybe an upgrade to the wiring and pots, make sure you have a CRL switch and the contacts are clean. It could be a loose solder joint or a loose baseplate.

9. billybob77036

billybob77036 Member

What a compliment to Alan Hammel. Just to bad it's a song and dance to get them.

10. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Both my hamel bridge's sound great, and aren't microphonic. Before you pot them, try to do everything else suggested. Potting can kill some of the personality of a pup.... having said that, i was forced into potting a wonderful sounding tele neck pup once , as it was unusable at any volume above a whisper. It worked out OK.

11. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Do you have the Broadcaster Bridge?

12. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

13. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

The best Tele pickups are microphonic. When I was a kid, I saw a famous player checking out Tele's on 48th St. in NY. Played 'em acoustically for a while; plugged in and YELLED through the bridge pickup; then got around to playing them plugged in.

14. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Hello Mr. Suhr!!

Thank you for your response! I spoke to Ron Ellis today and he told me to put a hot soldering iron on the base plate. I did it, which re-melted the wax and cured the problem.

Thanks guys for all your posts. These Hamels are the best pickups I've heard....so far...

I really appreciate all the help.

15. billygoat

billygoat Member

Is there a way to make the neck pickup stop squealing in a tele. I had one potted, and it still squeals like a stuck pig when I hit the boost with my tubescreamer.