Brand new SG questions!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by padavis, Jan 8, 2008.

1. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

Hey,
    I just bought a brand spanking new Gibson SG Standard. I absolutely love the thing. It is a 2007 and I mean BRRRRAAAND new. I checked it out for a good while, got it home and really inspected it. I bought a DC LP earlier this year and it had some very ugly markings and just poor craftsmanship so I was not about to buy another poor quality Gibson. Anyways, someone on this board had a message aboutt how they think some of the Gibson orders were being rushed to GC's. Rushed so much that the paint was not getting enough time to dry properly as well as the wood. Well, my finish seems really soft! It also smells. I dont know what that paint smells like but it just seems like its really ripe? I think the paint is dry... I just got to wondering a little bit. My dad also noticed it. I mean the thing is lovely but say the wood did not have the right amount of time to season what are some problems I might expect? Maybe my Gibson GAS should have been released in a different way? haha
    Thanks for any info,
    Patrick

2. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

It painted with Nitro not Poly and nitro smells, a lot.

It'll take a while for it to go away but it will. Your best bet is to leave it out of the case and leave the case open, possibly outside until it stops smelling. I'd say if you do this, the smell should pretty much go away in a few weeks.

3. operanonverba

operanonverba Silver Supporting Member

The nitro is still curing. It will take a while- could be a couple of weeks or longer. I bought a SG 61 RI last year and it took a couple of months. Same for an R8 I got. Keep an eye on what type of rubber tubing you have on your stands. Some will melt the nitro. I would place a cotton cloth between them and the guitar surface just in case. Don't forget the part of the stand at the neck too. Congrats on a cool purchase!

4. scottlr

scottlr Member

nitro smells good :)

5. Radagacuca

Radagacuca Member

you may find your neck to become sticky after some playing. don´t worry about that. it will go away and become smooth after some time.

i totally agree with operanonverba on the cotton cloth thing. i´ve seen bad marks on guitars caused by stands even from so called "nitro.safe" ones.

enjoy that great guitar! :JAM

6. thomasdk

thomasdk Member

Yeah, takes about 3 weeks!

7. c_mac

c_mac Supporting Member

I received a new black Gibson SG Standard a year or so ago and it was COVERED in buffing marks. That, along with some shady business practices, was the last straw for me. Not that they care of course, but Gibson can kiss my ass.

8. padavis

Thanks guys for all the good info. I am with you Cman a little bit. after that other Les Paul I was leary but this one over came!

9. xStonr

xStonr Supporting Member

How different is the SG to the DC in sound?

10. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

It will have that nitro new guitar smell for a long time. Some of my gutiars are several years old and still have it. I love that smell, like new car smell but for guitars.

11. padavis

I think that the typical SG vs. LP arguments could be made for the DC vs. SG. I played the crap out of the DC but ended up taking it back so I cant compare them back to back. The DC might have been a bit darker sounding and the SG just bites and is brighter. The pickups are completely different though so I just dont think its a fair fight. The DC had Burstbuckers and my SG has the 490R and 498T. I believe these are the same as the old LP Standards? And I did have a LP with those and it is exactly the old description. THe LP was darker and fuller, the SG bites and its just brighter. The SG seems to do things like harmonics easier and it just BITES a lot better. Does that make sense to others who have had both?
    Oh and my SG was made on June 13, 2007 so a little over half a year ago haha! I dig the smell I really do, I was just wondering if I might experience troubles down the road. Sounds like Im ok! I have also notices that it is not sticky at the neck anymore so whoever said that was right on the money!
    Sorry about the book here!