Brass Tremolo Blocks warm sustain

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by speek, Jan 20, 2008.

1. speek

speek Member

I recently installed a brass tremolo block from Peek Enterprises on my 57 re-issue strat. Wow what a nice warm tone and un-ending sustain it gives me over the original steel block. They are on ebay if anyone wants to try one. It goes for $69 but you can get it for an offer of $55. It really looks cool too because the bottom is polished--sweeeeeeeet! speek

2. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

SPAM? Still sounds cool. I've been wantin' to try one. I can't find them on ebay. Do you have a link?

3. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I can't find them; link?

4. demiruyar

demiruyar Member

Its gonna make your guitar sound trebly and harsh! I have tried every trem block on the market ıncluding titanium,zinc,brass and the only one that realy sounds good without coloring your tone is the Callaham Steel block.

5. Number8

Number8 Member

How much sustain do you really need?

6. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

Brass was one of the materials of choice in the 70's but some people consider it a tonal sink. My Schector after-market Strat trem bridge had a brass block and I don't seem to recall missing it when I switched to a Fender vintage bridge with a Callahm block. I have been told that brass can sound very good for bridge saddles but I don't know if anyone is making them.

It's really just personal taste. If you think it sounds good to you then it is good. If you are trying to recreate the vintage one it's probably best to stick with the original materials.

7. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

But I've read lots of times how the Callaham increases brightness and chime and those characteristics. Some have said how the Callahm thinned the tone on their guitar. What if you want less of that brightness? I always hear how a brass block can thicken a guitar's tone.

The old Charvels had 'em. I never played the early ones with non locking trems.

8. demiruyar

demiruyar Member

According to my comparrisons there is no way that a callaham can thin out your tone.But the sound itself is a very Broad term.But for Callaham worked the best.Its just the original recipe from 1954 with a bigger mass to it nothing fancy with the callaham.I see no point of thinning the sound.