Bravo: Fender Workplace Culture

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by paulbearer, Mar 14, 2018.

1. paulbearer

paulbearer Supporting Member

With all of the negativity around Gibson's work environment, this article about (positive) life at Fender is refreshing:

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/308443

Granted, it's a PR piece, but enthusiastic employees from many facets of the company represented here. Gotta give them some credit, sounds like some pride and good energy in the hallways.

dansworld and sportycliff like this.
  2. sws1

sws1 Member

While it "sounds" like a great place to work, I've been around long enough to know that PR put out by corporate HR often barely resembles the real culture.

3. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

4. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

That’s why they have to pay you to get you to do it.

If they didn’t have to, it would be called “fun” and you’d be paying them.

5. Surfreak

Surfreak Member

Looking from the outside, it moves the company in the right direction.

What I liked most however are Fender's ideas regarding innovation and digital: rather than acquiring consumer electronics companies or introducing hi tech products, develop instead technology to make the experience of learning to play more accessible.

You want to sell more guitars to a new generation of potential clients that have the attention span of a goldfish? Invent a better, more fun, easier way to learn how to play them.
    My first 3 years of classical guitar tuition were musically impeccable, with an exceptional teach, yet incredibly boring in my mind as a 9yo child. I persisted simply because, well, I was a persistent SOB, but the experience would have put off most other children.

It doesn't have to be that way, and with today's technology and digital tools, everyone can learn faster and have lots of fun doing it.

Sam Sherry, wookyoftheyear and RomanS like this.
  6. LTigh

LTigh Member

Glassdoor claims Fender's an okay-to-great place to work.

Quick skimming of the reviews show a small amount of workplace criticism. Most issues seem to be with middle management, some which apparently can't seem to find its own ass with both hands if you gave it a map (mostly stuff about not being able to tell the difference between a P-Bass and J-Bass, or millenials fresh out of business school who, again, have no concept of the product or the brand), but that seems to be par for course with the cancer on society that is middle management corporate culture.

But yeah, seems to be less of it at Fender than Gibson.

Then again, the reviews for my former corporate taskmasters are middling-to-mediocre, but my experience was slightly worse-- a clown-shoes outfit where careers go to die a depressing death under the watchful eye of low-testosterone micro-managing office mongs who peaked before graduating high-school, so pretty much a typical day at most run-of-the-mill corps. But that just might be me, and my preference for the brutal meritocracy on site out in the field or on the floor rather than the coddled "Safe Space" of the cubicle mooks.

Right, so I seemed to have strayed a bit, but the point was grain of salt, PR, Glassdoor, teh truth probably lies somewhere in between, but the whole shebang is farther away from the edge of the abyss for Fender than it is for, say Glorious Chairman.

7. Mike Duncan

That's exactly why I said what I said.

endoscopereviews likes this.
  8. paulbearer

Expected that of course.
    'Anyone with a pulse' has been around long enough to know what PR is, but still giving them credit for having something worth showcasing. For those who have been around long enough, they also know that though different channels, sometimes writers find a story that's actually worthy and make it happen too. Actually, Fender Mktg. probably doesn't need to be shopping that story to a niche book like "Entrepreneur" to move the consumer needle.

Where's my coffee?

9. paulbearer

[​IMG]

10. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

Years ago a buddy got to tour the Fender factories in the US & Mexico. He stated the group was treated very well on the tour. He said at the US factory the workers seemed relaxed & happy. He said in the Mexico factory the atmosphere was a "no talking, keep working" thing.

11. sws1

sws1 Member

Entrepreneur magazine is exactly the place a story like this belongs.
    - Fancy lobby at corporate offices makes them look hip and cool to anyone walking in the front door.
    - Company is MASSIVELY in debt and is in need of a buyer, or someone who can help relieve them of their debt.
    - Who is likely to walk through that nice lobby or see the corporate office?...the buyer / investor (perhaps aka entrepreneur)

The idea for this likely didn't come from HR, but rather Corp Marketing, who is looking to put a shiny face on the company. If it came from HR, it would be in "HR Magazine".

12. paulbearer

Annnnnnnnyway, the team suited up for the game.

Hopefully we don't see a Chinese G & F rollup on the horizon...

13. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

I wonder how they treat the Jackson guys..,

14. Dr. Tinnitus

Dr. Tinnitus Member

Gimme a break. There is no real way to evaluate until you're working there.

Culture shifts as quickly as the tides, and has detailed aspects based on department, location, role etc...

15. Tritone

Tritone Member

Some people are lucky enough to have jobs they love. And oftentimes, a lot of that has to do with the culture of the company they're working for.

16. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

For every one of those jobs there are a dozen or more dirty jobs that somebody has to do.

Think about it: cows are bred by artificial insemination. Somewhere out there there's a poor guy whose job it is to get the "stuff" out of the bull.:eek:

17. Flying_Milkman

Flying_Milkman Member

Sure but there's also plenty of jobs like mine. A means to an end in a field I'm not particularly passionate about but with a decent company environment. You make good money to sit in a cubicle and occasionally take a break and talk with people who are interesting and bring a different perspective to life.

I guess I never understood the whole - you can't enjoy your work thing - it seems reasonable that I can have fun at a place I've got to be for 40+ hours a week. If I'm not at least relatively happy I can always find another cubicle farm to dream about playing guitar from.

18. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Already have, Epiphone and Squier... aka “Squire” on Craigslist. Or, “Fender/Squire” or... “fender”

19. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I'm retired now, but could not in any way imagine what it would have been to go through my working life without enjoying what I was doing.

20. Mike Duncan

I need to win the lottery.

Also, need to play the lottery.

Paul Conway likes this.