• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Brazilian R7...to change or not to change?

drift_boat

Hey all! Just wondering what all you guys think about taking a stock Gibson Historic 2003 R7 Brazilian and adding an RS Kit and a set of paf clones to it. Am I nuts for fooling with something that is considered "desirable and collectable"??

I bought this thing to play so I would hate to have to leave it stock with the poor electronics.

mitch236

If you bought the R7 to play, then mod away! Personally, I don't understand buying such expensive, beautiful guitars and then just keeping them locked away so that some day, maybe someone will pay me more for it.

27sauce

I don't think there is any harm, as long as you keep the original parts for later.

27sauce

The premium for a confirmed Braz board wont be compromised by swapping electronics. IMO

baimun

Swapping pickups or replacing pots are really no biggie.....

... now if you said "I'd really like to route this bad boy out for a Floyd Rose" then you'd be...

... um...

.... you'd be me. :D

27sauce

I like SOME of the Burst Buckers I have played, including the un-potted set that came in my CR8, but many people dont like them. I dont like the stock pots and caps, practically useless, I like to use my controls.

Shnook

Silver Supporting Member
If your not concerned about taking a hit on resale(should you ever want to sell it) go for it. It's your guitar. If your not collecting it for resale down the road, who cares? If you are, don't change anything.

drift_boat

I did buy it new on it's own merits....plays great, huge vibe, even acoustic tone, and lots of acoustic resonance. Found out later it is a confirmed Braz fingerboard! What luck! But it did make me wonder about changing things on it.

Pickups (RS Fralin True 60's) and their upgrade pots/caps kit is all I am planning.

Thanks for the input you guys!

WordMan

Homo Logos
Platinum Supporting Member
Why would anyone want to change the electronics or pickups on such an awesome guitar?
You're new to this board? ;)

Remember: no good deed goes unpunished, and no perfectly playable guitar goes unmodified!

Brock

If you had your choice of purchasing one of two 1957 gold top Les Pauls and one was all original and the other used to have other pickups in it so it didn't have original solders, but now had the original pickups back in it, and they were both the same price, which one would you choose? Wow... long sentence.

Shnook

Silver Supporting Member
You're new to this board? ;)

Remember: no good deed goes unpunished, and no perfectly playable guitar goes unmodified!
I'll throw out my little story of how I ruined my R4 by 'upgrading the pickups/pots/caps. Guitar sounded good stock. I read of all the fine upgrades to do to make it 'better' and did them. Guitar sounds like crap now.... And to beat all the stock caps/pots were accidently thrown away...

27sauce

If you had your choice of purchasing one of two 1957 gold top Les Pauls and one was all original and the other used to have other pickups in it so it didn't have original solders, but now had the original pickups back in it, and they were both the same price, which one would you choose? Wow... long sentence.
Good point.
A '03 braz changes things a bit. When was the last time two '03 '57 Braz RI's were for sale to choose from?

just_one_more

Gold Supporting Member
I hardly call the ruined. You can buy all those parts if putting it back stock is what you want.
The reason to change pickups is because some people have found, myself included, that some pickups sound better in some guitars and not in others, it has nothing to do with "good" or "bad" pickups. Just personal preferences, and finding the combo that floats your boat. If you keep the old stuff there is no harm done at all with changing out pickups.

I'll throw out my little story of how I ruined my R4 by 'upgrading the pickups/pots/caps. Guitar sounded good stock. I read of all the fine upgrades to do to make it 'better' and did them. Guitar sounds like crap now.... And to beat all the stock caps/pots were accidently thrown away...

straightblues

I would do it. In fact, I did it to my R6. Just save the stuff you pull out and keep it with the guitar for future sales.

jiml

Silver Supporting Member
Did it on my R8, I was shocked when I looked "under the hood" and saw cheapo pots and skinny disc caps.

Keep the parts and put them back on if anyone really wants them (I tossed mine).

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
the one that played and sounded better, why do you ask? :hide2

Trending Topics

Top Bottom