break in period for picks

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by UfoPilot, Aug 20, 2008.

1. UfoPilot

UfoPilot Member

I just bought some new picks. How long does it take for them to break-in?

2. Freedom

Freedom Member

It depends on the material...

3. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Try putting them in the microwave for ten seconds. Just go ahead and do it. Double dare you.

4. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

5. UfoPilot

UfoPilot Member

Why thank you...
    nyuck nyuck nyuck
    [​IMG]

6. Structo

Structo Member

For proper break you need to play a guitar with the pick for 10-40 hours.
    During this time the molecules will begin to align in the crystal structure of the pick.
    After a proper break in period, the tone will be more articulate and defined.
    The posture of the hand and fingers during this break in period is paramount for getting the desired results.
    Once properly broken in the plectrum should be stored in a hermetically sealed container to preserve the m0jo that has developed.
    Otherwise it may vaporize into the atmosphere, resulting in a new plectrum acquisition and a new break in period.

7. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Mine always wind up in between the couch cushions long before they are really broken in. My tone, it suffers mightily...

8. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Depends on how fast you play. With more speed, the pick scrapes against the strings faster and more frequently, thus creating friction, which generates sufficient heat to alter the molecular structure of the pick's plastic. This in turn generates the crystalline highs, thumping lows, and of course haunting mids that we all covet.

If you don't play fast, you can always purchase the ACME MK97000 Pick Breaker-Inner for only $19,995.00 (+ shipping). Let this bad boy pick your strings at light speed for 40 hours. Instant RF tone.

9. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Ahh, you beat me to it! Glad we're on the same page regarding molecular structure. And I really like your suggestion about the sealed container. This would have saved me the frustration of many a vaporized pick.

10. mike80

mike80 Member

I usually play air guitar with mine for 70-80 hours. That gets the pick used to the back and forth motion, and makes it more aerodynamic because any drag is lessened by the break-in time.

After that, I play air guitar using my shirt as the guitar. That polishes the pick and sets it up for my playing style.

You don't want to just start playing a real guitar with the pick....this could have adverse effects on the pick, like premature failure and breakage.

11. Lizard Leg

Lizard Leg Member

After many years of testing and R & D I have come up with the perfect break in method - I leave mine in my jeans pocket, my wife washes the jeans, dries them and then pulls all the picks out of the bottom of the dryer and puts them in a special demagnetized cup on top of the dryer for a few weeks, or until I wonder where all my picks went again.

Works every time.

12. jstone

jstone Member

To break in a pick is essential for the result of a gig. If you forget to do a proper break in before your on stage the worst can happen.
    Bad luck again if the first tune that night is starting in an open E as only 3 of your left hands fingers a holding back the strings and your left hand grip is so far away from the pick itself. You are doomed to loose you light E string or even worse break all of your already broken in strings that you have left on for the last decade.

No kidding... a broken pick is better than a pick that has yet to be broken in.
    Ask me I'm old. (you know you are old when a pick last over 5 years) :)

13. Adwex

Adwex Member

Are those NOS picks, or repros?

...just playing along.

14. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

I believe that the MK97000 is now offered with financing for us not so fortunate musicians

15. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

there is a lot more to pick break i than you guys think...

If you use new picks with new amp speaker, new cables, new pedals, etc the break in period is longer...but if the rest of your gear is PAST the break in period than picks break in sooner. Not to mention whether or not the picks are boutique...

16. socal63

socal63 Member

pick break in? thats funny...

17. Franklin

Franklin Member

I only use relic'd picks, so there is not wasted time trying to break them in.

18. m@2

m@2 Member

so... when do you trully achieve "triple P"? (peak pick performance)

I'm thinking in the 24-27 day timeframe?

19. Chadley

Chadley Member

heeelarious.

I was about three nanoseconds from never browsing this forum again.

20. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

This actually makes more sense than the thread it is parodying.