breakin in speakers

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by 12strings, Feb 21, 2006.

1. 12strings

12strings Supporting Member

Just got a new 2x12 cab loaded with blue dogs. What do you guys do to break in speakers outside of playing? I have heard playing a cd through them. How would you do this with the 1/4" jack on the cab? What do you guys do? Thanks!!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Forget it. Playing CD's through your guitar speakers, which are designed to reproduce a very specific frequency range, will not have the same effect. Unless, of course, you play CD's of just guitar!

Just play, man!!

:cool:

3. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

The last time I needed to break speakers in quickly I played Yo-Yo Ma's 'Bach Cello Concertos' through them for a while. Cello has roughly the same lower notes as the guitar, plus a cello sounds kind of like distorted guitar, sort of. Seemed to work pretty well for me.

--chiba

4. bob-i

bob-i Member

I recorded about 10 minutes of myself playing, loaded it on an mp3 player and looped it.... then went out. About 4 hours later the speaker was nice and warm sounding.

5. pmac21

pmac21 Member

What's the best way to hookup a mp3 player or cd player to a guitar amp, for this type of speaker break-in?
    Thanks, Pat

6. brad347

brad347 Member

any adaptor 2XRCA in, 1 1/4" out.

I have heard of using Bach's Cello Suites before.

I have also heard of misting a dilute solution of fabric softener onto the cone but haven't tried it. Fabric softener contains fiber relaxers that are supposed to break the speaker in.

7. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Most speakers take 4-10 hours of playing to get warm. What's wrong with just playing through them? Much more fun than looping a CD, and there's no replacement for putting the time in and working on your chops.