1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

breakin in speakers

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by 12strings, Feb 21, 2006.

1. 12strings

12strings Member

Just got a new 2x12 cab loaded with blue dogs. What do you guys do to break in speakers outside of playing? I have heard playing a cd through them. How would you do this with the 1/4" jack on the cab? What do you guys do? Thanks!!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Forget it. Playing CD's through your guitar speakers, which are designed to reproduce a very specific frequency range, will not have the same effect. Unless, of course, you play CD's of just guitar!

Just play, man!!

:cool:

3. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

The last time I needed to break speakers in quickly I played Yo-Yo Ma's 'Bach Cello Concertos' through them for a while. Cello has roughly the same lower notes as the guitar, plus a cello sounds kind of like distorted guitar, sort of. Seemed to work pretty well for me.

--chiba

4. bob-i

bob-i Member

I recorded about 10 minutes of myself playing, loaded it on an mp3 player and looped it.... then went out. About 4 hours later the speaker was nice and warm sounding.

5. pmac21

pmac21 Member

What's the best way to hookup a mp3 player or cd player to a guitar amp, for this type of speaker break-in?
    Thanks, Pat

6. brad347

brad347 Member

any adaptor 2XRCA in, 1 1/4" out.

I have heard of using Bach's Cello Suites before.

I have also heard of misting a dilute solution of fabric softener onto the cone but haven't tried it. Fabric softener contains fiber relaxers that are supposed to break the speaker in.

7. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    Most speakers take 4-10 hours of playing to get warm. What's wrong with just playing through them? Much more fun than looping a CD, and there's no replacement for putting the time in and working on your chops.