Breaking in speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Frank Speak, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

I was led to believe that it typically takes around 20 hours, give or take, to break in new speakers. I've had my Germino Club 40 head and straight 4x12 (Greenbacks) since October '09. I was jamming away through it the other night, and I swear it sounded better than it ever has, and it's always sounded stellar! The feel of the amp just seemed to loosen a bit. It might be in my head, I don't know. The amp has a real quick attack even in tube rectifier mode (I keep mine on the tube rectifier) but, again, it just seemed to have a little extra sauce the other night.

I have no idea how many hours are on the speakers, but it's not near as many as you might think as it doesn't get gigged very much and shares time with my other amps. If I had to guess, I'd say it might have 50 hours of playing time, max. I would think even with that low amount of hours, I'd think the speakers would've been broken is sooner.

2. pgissi

pgissi Member

The harder you drive the speaker('s), the shorter the break in time generally. If you play mostly in OD at loud volume then the speakers would break in sooner. If you play clean tones mostly break in takes longer.

3. Onioner

Onioner Member

It also depends on the speaker. Rumor has it that Celestion Blues and Golds take closer to two hundred hours to break in. From what I've gathered, fifty is about average.

4. B-Nads

B-Nads Supporting Member

I hear ya - my Valvetrain has a Wizard in it. I find myself using pedals less and less with it because I like the sound of it so much more. I bought it in August and probably have 30 - 40 hours on it. It has really taken on a lot of character.

5. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

I have a 100 watt solid state Marshall MG100FX that I was thinking of hooking up to my speaker cabs, turning up to a loud level with some music pumping through it, and leaving it that way while I'm at work to help break in my speakers

Thoughts?

6. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

You could always try practicing. :p

Just kidding, gents. Carry on. :D

7. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Frank, I have found that it takes 20 hours AT HIGH WATTAGE (1/3 max speaker rating on a variac and even HIGHER wattage with a recorded guitar loop) to make it through the FIRST PHASE of breaking in a speaker, where you get about 95% of the way there. If you're playing quieter than that, it will take much longer...months or years. The SECOND PHASE, that remaining 5%, can take months or years as well, even after the formal break-in, depending on playing habits.

So, if you've never done any formal high wattage break-in, as described, I could easily see how your experience could be very real and very much related to the speakers finally getting into that last 5% range. I have experienced this myself several times and is why I am so adamant about giving all my new speaks AT LEAST 24 hours at 1/3 max speaker power on a variac for initial break-in. I have noticed such a significant change in tone before/after that process that I won't even bother playing/mounting them until AFTER that formal break-in!

8. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

drum machine high volumes for 2 or 3 hours seems to work real nice. Put some Rap beats through it, that will do it.

9. Structo

Structo Member

Celestions reportedly take a LOT of hours to fully break in.

You can use a Variac which will put 60 cycle hum on them but you have to watch the voltage.
    Start with around 6 volts and watch the speaker(s) if they aren't jumping out of the baskets you can up the voltage but the trick is not to over heat the coils.

10. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Just continue doing what you have been doing....break the speaker in naturally!

11. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

:agree That's how I always approach it.

12. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

With all the time, money and effort we put into tone, I'm surprised you wouldn't want the best you could get right out of the box, instead of waiting months or years to get there! If you could hear the before & after just a day apart, you'd never go "natural" again!

;)

:rotflmao

13. ken374

ken374 Member

i bought my blue used it was in a ac30 , dont really know how many hours are on it lol:bonk

14. Mr Boggie

Mr Boggie Member

im in this very process got me a 4x12 thats a tad stiff. Wont take long. I have a mini looper, sometimes I'll put a drum beat in it and let it go for a few hours. I figure why not. I dont have a lot of time infront of me.

15. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

Who said I wouldn't? I didn't say that. I said "that's how I approach it". I've never done it any other way because: 1. I didn't know any other way. 2. I doubt I have the capability. I'm so low tech, I'm lucky to be able to use my recorder. Lol

16. ac15er

ac15er Member

Football, meat pies, kangaroos and foreign cars
  17. abearse

abearse Member

hook it up to a radio and leave it for a couple of days on a good rock( OR WHATEVER YOU PLAY) STATION,IT WORKS FOR ME.

18. INX

INX Member

I ran Deadmau5 and Meshuggah through a Crown power amp into a Rivera TAC-112 to break in a V30. Took 50-60 hours. Now it sounds great.

19. sideman

sideman Member

Just play them; it takes care of itself. I usually buy speakers used, but not always. I don't think Celestions take alot of work to "break in." I have golds and a blue that sounded great right out of the box. Half-a-dozen or so gigs will break any speaker in.

20. thosk

thosk Silver Supporting Member

I just play my bass thru 'em for a few hours.