Breaking in speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mobis8, Oct 21, 2008.

1. mobis8

mobis8 Member

I just got a Vox AC30 not to long ago which came with Celestian Blue speakers. So far I have not been too impressed with them, however I have read a lot that it takes time to break them in. How long should this take (assuming you play two hours per day twice a week). And once broke in, what noticable differences will there be (I am hoping someone says the treble will come down quite a bit lol).

Also, I read on another forum that people are running ipods through them and just playing music to shorten the breakin time... Would this work, or be a good idea? Would the volume matter if so, or just having the speakers being used?

Thanks!

2. TGF

TGF Member

Interested in hearing some answers on this too!

3. Luke

Luke Senior Member

I've run music through my speakers to break them in. There are even CDs made for such a purpose with tones within the guitar speakers range.

I always let them run a low volumes, starting at quiet volumes and working up to speaking volume, while at work. Eventually a little louder but never loud due to fear of bass drum and bass guitar signals being too bassy.

After a week, 8 hours a day they are broken in in my experience.

4. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

There are tons of threads here on TGP with numerous speaker break-in suggestions. I too have used an iPod. You can also use a guitar loop if you have a looper.

5. Gris

Gris Member

Just realize those EL84s and the low wattage alnicos will NEVER give you a big tight bottom end...

6. mobis8

mobis8 Member

See, I don't notice the loss of bottom end when I play it through the orange, so I figured it wasn't the EL84s, rather the blues...

7. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

In my experience, if you're not at least mostly happy with the sound of new speakers, you're using the wrong speakers. The tone one achieves after break-in should be icing on the cake.

With your Orange, you've got twice the speaker area in a closed back cab. Of course you're going to have a bigger sound, and a tighter bottom end.

The Blues in an AC30 are suited to a much different tone than what you're accustomed to, assuming that the Orange 4x12 in your sig is your go-to speaker cab.

8. digital jams

digital jams Member

Cabinet laying face down and music pumped through for hours.

9. Structo

Structo Member

I think the break in period happens over time so you are not apt to pick up on it sonically.
    If you had your broke in cab and a new cab and could do a A/B test you would probably be able to hear it.

A few techniques for breaking in:

Using a Variac (60 Hz hum used to break in)

Using a filament transformer, same idea as the variac

Pumping music through them

And of course playing your guitar through them over a period of time.

10. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

For pumping music through them, I highly recommend ZZ Top's "Rhytheem"...tons of bass and fuzzy guitar - a big bottom end mix on this CD. Turned the bass and mids up to max, treble/reverb off and run it about 1/3 volume. I've used it in the past on loop while at work (I'm sure my dogs know the lyrics by heart !!!).

11. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Also, the break-in effect can vary depending on your speakers. It's more dramatic for some speakers such as G12H30's.

12. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

My blue when it broke in, the bass came up quite a bit. I ended up backing off the bass and I knew the speaker loosened up. This took about 2 hours for me with a 5e3. Suprised to hear it has taken some longer to let loose..