Breaking, Neil Peart, RUSH Drummer, Passed at 67 yrs

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Daytona57, Jan 10, 2020.

1. 83stratman

83stratman Supporting Member

I saw Test for Echo tour three times. Once on opening night at the venue they rented out for dress rehearsals (Albany, NY), once in Boston, and then at the Nassau Collision. Beginning of the tour, middle of the tour, and the end (IIRC) of the tour. Beginning of the tour, one or two songs played traditional grip (no mistakes, only new parts, as per Geddy that night, LOL.), then in Boston at a brand new at the time Fleet Center, super tight and refined with more songs played traditional grip. End of the tour, a little tired feeling, but even more songs traditional grip. This is all from his lessons. He was really starting to develop a killer feel and groove that he hadn't had previous (don't get me wrong, he was always KILLER, but at that point he was really pusing his playing, and it showed.). It was killer. Neil's tragedies stopped that progress, unfortunately. I remember the two Vapor Trails shows I saw, he wasn't as good as he used to be (understandably). Every tour after that he progressed back closer to what he was, but never did traditional grip again.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    maplebaby and presence like this.
  2. 83stratman

83stratman Supporting Member

IMO, after revisiting a lot of stuff I haven't listened to in a long time (namely post Signals era) I have come to the conclusion, that that is a common misconception. Neil grooved, just in a slightly different way. The solo section to free will is SUPER GROOVE!

3. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Perfect.

4. RUSHFANnLV

RUSHFANnLV Member

Agreed. I have not been the same since I heard the new. I must have watched Exit Stage Left 30 times since Friday.

jb70, Paul Conway and MkIII Renegade like this.
  5. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

Agree 100% with this. Freddie Gruber gave Neil a pocket. I get that ESL may be the Zenith of live stuff for old school fans, but to me songs like Red Barchetta and Subdivisions feel totally different and better post-Freddie. There is an ease and flow to them that wasn't there before. While I don't think the material on T4E is as enduring as plenty of the other stuff that came before and after, his playing is absolutely amazing on it.

ak301 likes this.
  6. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

Still feeling really down about this. Listened to Fly by Night through Signals yesterday. My room mate (who is a great drummer) and I cranked 70s Rush on vinyl all weekend. I first heard Rush when I was 10 years old in 1980. We were at a car stereo dealership having a stereo installed in my sister's Honda Civic. I was already a huge fan of Styx, Kansas and Van Halen but I had no idea who Rush were. The intro to Spirit of Radio came blaring out of another car and caught my attention immediately. "WHO IS THAT!?!?!?!?!?!" I excitedly asked but got no answer. I found out a year or two later and they became one of my all-time favorite bands. It was all there, progressive rock that was aggressive and sophisticated with great, nerdy lyrical themes that I loved. Listening to All the World's a Stage at the moment, this is going to take a while to get over for sure. R.I.P Professor/Prat :(

7. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Getting ready to play along with the first disc of Chronicles, spent the last couple of days doing 2112. What a musician he was.

MkIII Renegade likes this.
  8. vchizzle

vchizzle Member

I’d like to say something that hasn’t been said already, but probably not possible. A true master. I hope he at least got enjoy some time post Rush in his retirement. I’m still sad. It’s tough to lose iconic musicians that break barriers and push the envelope like he did. RIP Neil.

DC1 likes this.
  9. DrSax

DrSax Member

It’s actually been difficult to keep up with all the tributes. Still in shock......

10. DrSax

DrSax Member

It’s funny, I never heard a big difference. Folk say good/bad after Gruber, but I hear Neil. I’m sure, though, that it made a difference, probably one closer to Neil than I can detect.

Mooselake likes this.
  11. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

"I don't think I can carry on
    Carry on this cold and empty life, oh no"

(Not really, but you know what I mean)

Man with Gas likes this.
  12. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

I am a student of the entire catalog from the perspective of the bass parts. I can play along to 100% of it with nearly 100% accuracy. People may find this to be strange/not a worthwhile pursuit but that's what I do.
    Where I feel the difference is in playing the same lines along to multiple versions of the same song from different eras. Let's use Red Barchetta as an example-it's a song represented on as many live recordings/dvds as any. ESL would be the earliest version and R40 the most recent. There is a marked difference in the pocket/pulse/meter of the same song over time with the biggest shift coming post-Freddie. The ESL version (as great as it may be) sounds to me like it is being forced out of the drums with a ton of tension behind it and it is always a bit ahead of the actual metronome. Later versions sit a bit behind the beat and there is an ease to the playing, a mastery of parts that when they were written were right at or maybe a bit ahead of his ability to execute them without applying all of that "tension".
    As a player who is continuing to try to improve my technique and make complex parts happen with more ease and smoothness I respond to later versions of the material because I hear and feel the same sensibility being applied by the whole band. It's also really evident on Test For Echo, an album that doesn't get a lot of traction for songwriting and lyrics but sounds pretty great and has a lot of very overlooked drumming on it.

DV52 and jb70 like this.
  13. peter_heijnen

peter_heijnen Member

They probably comforted the girls after they left Gene's dressing room! :knitting

There is this story about the Runaways opening for Rush. They claim Rush treated them totally bad and also laughed at them from the side of the stage. As revenge Joan Jett went into Alex' guitar room and urinated over his guitars.

Nooooo!!!! Not the white one... :facepalm

14. dsimon665

dsimon665 Supporting Member

I just picked up a few audiobook versions of Peart's books. I'm listening to Masked Rider right now.
    Really interesting - I like the subject matter too. I've done a little adventure travelling, and its cool to hear it set to the Peart-ian prose.

For some reason I wasn't interested in checking out his books before?

The company he used as a guide on that trip is still in business...
    http://www.ibike.org/bikeafrica/cameroon/cameroon_bicycle.htm

Coopster likes this.
  15. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

I've been watching that series the last couple of nights. It's very interesting to me.

jb70 likes this.
  16. dead mike

dead mike Member

Well I’ve read two articles now that have said that he knew he was sick during the last tour. The most recent article was the one with the drummer from Godsmack. could it be possible that this is the way this deeply private man wanted to go out? By giving us fans and the others from Rush one last tour. regardless, by far, I haven’t had a musicians death affect me like his has. Just goes to show lyrics, technique and principals mean a lot more than for example flamboyance or “fame.”

17. drewl

drewl Member

Yikes.
    Kind of a dick move if true.

peter_heijnen likes this.
  18. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

PSA for Audible subscribers: All of Neil's travel audio books are free until January 28th. I was going to buy a couple then I saw they were free so I got all of them. They have a couple of really nice tributes to him as well. I can't think of any other musician who has had such a widespread reaction to their passing, I'm really looking forward to getting into his books.

19. Beto

Beto Member

I started listening to Rush when I was 14, back in 1988. I started playing the guitar because of them. From the few songs that I've learned to play close to the original along the years, most are from Rush. They weren't always the most listened along all those years, but have always been present and being played. In retrospect, however, I can say that in the long run they are my favorite band.

Considering that most of us ITT have some love - or, at least, some level of admiration - for Rush and also play an instrument and/or sing, in order to get us together getting the most out of TGP I've created a thread in the Member Video and Souns Clips, where people are welcome to join and share both their passion for playing/singing Rush songs and their appreciation for the band and their music.

I love playing those tunes. Going through them in my bedroom almost every time I turn on the amp and grab a guitar is my solitary tribute to their legacy.

20. relix63

relix63 Supporting Member