Breedlove 2014 Studio Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by patrick2099, Mar 20, 2015.

1. patrick2099

patrick2099 Member

Does anyone own one of these or has played them that would mind sharing their thoughts? I am having a hard time finding reviews for this particular guitar. Thanks.

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I just started a thread in the Acoustic sub-forum as a PSA for this SDOTD.
    It looks like a solid choice, considering it has an LR Baggs pickup and a case better than a gig bag.
    Chinese Breedloves are nice, I gigged one (c250) for a few years using just a basic Radial DI.
    The only downside to this instrument is the laminate back and sides. Not quite as luxurious as solid wood, but much more stable with regard to temp swings. Solid Sitka top would be a little brighter for a bit at first and should mellow to a good rich but clear tone. Would be a great sound with some uncoated Phos. bronze strings.

I say go for it.

3. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I assume you know this....but it's the stupid deal of the day.
    I've played/gigged with a CS Breedlove for about 4 years now, and I love it. Mine is an older model, so I'm sure the technology is even better in them now.

4. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

Breedlove's acoustics are fantastic across all price levels. It was my favorite brand for a while when I worked at a retailer for a stint a few years back. Excellent guitars.

5. patrick2099

patrick2099 Member

Thanks. This is actually why I was asking. There is an awesome deal on one. I really like playing guitars before I buy them, and buying from local shops, but the deal on this one looks pretty good.

6. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Supporting Member

It is a great deal. Normal price most places is $900.

7. sgguitarzz

Just placed my order with MF for one of these. It is $400 off ($900 down to $500 including padded gig bag ) plus 18 months no interest on MF card. Great deal. I hope I like the guitar but definitely worth a shot.

8. TheoDog

Keep in mind, the saddle will be a bit high as a new guitar. it is intended for the purchasing user to fine tune that upon purchase. Also, a little nut filing to fine tune to player's choice of string gauge is expected.
    Actually, those parts, on this level, will likely be plastic (maybe Tusq) and it is a solid upgrade of $50 or so to swap the nut and saddle with a skilled repairman at the helm.

9. sgguitarzz

And..........? First off you are assuming a lot. Secondly I have a great tech and any guitar I would buy anywhere for any price I would bring to him anyway. I am giving this a try because at this price and deal and with the reviews I have read it sounds like it is worth a shot. If I do not like it I return it.

10. Mandrax

Mandrax Member

Dude, I think he is just giving you fair warning, I don't think he is having a dig :huh

11. TheoDog

Correct. No dig. Sometimes, people looking for an acoustic with budget as a priority are let down when they chose an item and discover it is not a perfect player with low action out of the box.
    I did not mean to presume the OP is a novice at guitar buying. I was adding info to my first reply in case other forum browsers are looking for info on this guitar before buying.
    I look forward to the NGD reports! :banana

But to say I am "assuming a lot" assumes I have not bought a new import Breedlove import guitar- but I have. So, I know >from experience< that the nut and saddle on this great deal of a guitar will benefit from some attention by a skilled setup hand. That might be the buyer or is qualified guitar tech. :boxer

But it's all good. At least tell us what is a "Deluxe Foamshell" case. :knitting

12. PW214

PW214 Member

Agreed. The setup may not always be right straight out of the box, but Breedlove seems to be producing nice instruments from either of their factories. My husband was going to purchase one of the Pursuit concert 25th anniversary Koa series. Retail it was only $799 and it played nicely. Action wasn't perfect and this was also (like the one the OP listed) made in their Chinese factory but it was a nice sounding guitar. Definitely needed a setup though. He ended up buying one of their Masterclass series (Oregon made) instead...it just suited him better, but honestly for the price/quality ratio, those lower end Breedlove guitars are quite nice and definitely very competitive, tone-wise.

13. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I was checking these out also... the $399 deal is on one called a
    Breedlove 2014 Studio Discovery Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Guitar
    The $899 model is:
    Breedlove 2014 Studio Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Is there a difference? I assume there is....

14. PW214

PW214 Member

15. sgguitarzz

The MF $499 deal was on the $899 Breedlove 2014 Studio Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Guitar

16. sgguitarzz

My bad and sorry if I took it wrong. My apologies. I appreciate the info. This is a guitar I will only use at best on a handful of songs so to spend much more didn't seem very worthwhile. As I have heard good things about Breedlove I figured I would take a chance. If it seems okay when I get it I will take it to tech and see what he thinks needs to be done. There are very few new guitars that couldn't use some help from a good tech. Also while a $900 guitar is not up there its is not like it is a $200 starter either.

17. patrick2099

patrick2099 Member

I ended up finding a few Breedlove guitars at a local shop. I played about 12 different guitars, and the studio Dreadnought was the only guitar that had old, corroded strings on it. It actually still sounded really good. The high notes sounded a little weaker than I like, but that is most likely the strings and not the guitar.

All of the Breedlove guitars I played sounded really good. I played a few Taylors (not the super expensive ones), Fenders, Yamahas, and Seagulls. The guitars that surprised me the most were the Seagulls.

I had heard the name before, but never played one and never done any research into one. I have never even talked to anyone that played one, and had no preconceived notion of whether or not I would like one.

There were two for only around $550, at a shop that has around the same prices as the online retailers. These things played better than ANY acoustic guitar that I tried, and were some of the least expensive. They also sounded excellent. I wasn't a big fan of the burgundy or black colors, but I was very surprised by these.

I would really like to order that Breedlove, because I'm sure it would be really awesome with some fresh strings on it, but I am very intrigued by what a larger, slightly more expensive Seagull would sound like, now.

18. 77James

77James Member

I saw this deal to. I saw this on the Breedlove site about the 2015 model. "The Studio series is now equipped with the Fishman INK3 USB system. This onboard preamp features a Sonicore pickup, 3-band EQ, chromatic tuner and a low battery LED. It also has a USB that allows for quick access and recording straight from your guitar to your favorite recording software." I'm guessing that's why the price went down on the 2014. I don't care about the USB but I'd love to know how the Baggs system in the 2014 compares with the Fishman in the new one for live. Does anyone know. If it's comparable and you don't care about the USB it looks like a great deal

19. TheoDog

I hear you about Seagulls. Dollar for dollar, I think you get slightly more gutar for the money with them Vs the Breedloves. Splitting hairs, though.
    I had a pair of Seagulls a while back. An S6+GT and an S12 matte. The matte finished 12 string was a cannon. The S6 had a gloss finish that tamed the volume, but the wild cherrywood sides really rung out in a way that was unique.
    They are both featured on this track (P&W content)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2wuht7r8t6j6ax/02%20Sons%20of%20Abraham.mp3?dl=0

20. sgguitarzz

Wow MF shipped out the guitar this afternoon already. That is crazy fast.