Breedlove for a Rick Turner?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by hey_day, Dec 1, 2005.

1. hey_day

hey_day Member

im desperately trying to find some help. i have an offer on my 2002 rick turner model 1 featherweight with indian rosewood and cedar body. i have been offered a 1995 breedlove MJ/E (master class jumbo) made of macassar ebony and spruce with an active fishman in it. $$ wise is it a fair trade?

2. edgarallanpoe

edgarallanpoe Member

The Master Class Breedloves are absolutely amazing. I would think it would be a fair trade, but truth be told they are both items that appeal to a very small market. If you are looking for an acoustic, I would say do it...if you are looking for something to just roll over, then I would pass.

3. hey_day

hey_day Member

i wouldnt mind an acoustic but in time i wouldnt mind reselling, but you think there would be a buyer looking for a specific guitar of such. by the way what would your random guess of the breedlove's worth. it has gold tuners, its a 1995, no cutaway, active fishman, bloodwood binding, spruce top, macassar back and sides, about all i can remember. its so hard to get an idea of worth because it seems fairly rare and they renamed all their models.

4. baald

baald Member

Oh man. if it was me, i'd probably trade in a NY minute - the only thing that would hold me back is my personal preferance for smaller bodied acoustics. But master class macasser non-cutaway? i bet that thing just DRIPS tone. and macasser is visually my favorite wood also. I have a macasser-topped Koll coming around february in fact.

Value wise, i'd think it's pretty fair if condition on both is about equal. Just took a look at completed listings on ebay and the only master class breedlove that had actually sold went for over 3k, which is what i recall seeing the Turners going for IIRC. I think it really does come down to the fact that neither will be quick movers on the used market.

man, you just gave me gas for a macasser breedlove! (concert sized though. maybe even 12-fret slothead if they do that...). sweet dreams. i'm going to bed :)

5. jcground

jcground Member

I would expect the Breedlove to resell in the low $3000s if it's in mint to near mint condition, but as others have said, it might take a little while to find the right buyer. Master Class Breedloves are great, great guitars, but not as well known to the general guitar buying public.

6. hey_day

hey_day Member

i guess this specific masterclass is a 1995 and breedlove had some poor finish in 95/96 so they took the guitar and refinished it for free. anyone know anything about this? how does the master class guitars compare to current models? i figured its worth 2300-3000, seller feels close to 4000

7. edgarallanpoe

edgarallanpoe Member

No way you find anything like this for $2300. The regular Breedloves sell in that range. If it was refinished by Breedlove then it is a world class finish and really shouldn't effect the value all that much. There was nothing structurally wrong with the guitar, and it was taken care of by the factory. I would put the value at a minimum of 3k. Just look at the woods they use on these...3K is a steal for something like that. I have a Ed Gerheart model Breedlove and wouldn't let it go for less than 2k...and it is a simple mahogany with spruce model.

8. hey_day

hey_day Member

how would you put that compared to a 2002 featherweight with indian rosewood body with cedar core and full electronics package?

9. edgarallanpoe

edgarallanpoe Member

As I said before..it seems like an even trade to me. I would actually think you are a little bit ahead in the deal.

No offense...but I don't see anyone beating down your door to buy your Turner. They are fantastic guitars, but appeal to a limited amount of players. I would think that the Breedlove would have a broader appeal, but only slightly.

I would do the trade in a second, but you seem to be hesitant, so maybe the best thing to do would be to hold on to the Turner and see what offers come after Christmas.

10. hey_day

hey_day Member

well i just got a brand new McIlroy mini jumbo acoustic made for me. but dont need a $3000 electrc for as much as i play it in an apartment. the breedlove has a fishman active pickup installed on it does that hurt or help do you think? think i might go for it but the turner is so beautiful and unique, but i kinda feel i might have the better end of this deal. neither guitar is really made the way it stands now without special orders so we both have something to gain/lose

11. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

Those Gerheart models are really nice. Simple and great sounding for fingerstyle. Don't care for the strumming sound, but that's not what it's made for.