Breedlove "love"?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Terry Hayes, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

I haven't seen any good Breedlove posts in awhile. Any Breedlove fans here? I love my SC20/R:D

Terry

2. 58flame

58flame Member

I like my Phoenix a LOT. Coming from me, a true Gibson fanatic, that says a lot. The build quality of the phoenix is outstanding, the playability is absolutely second to none, and the tone is what sealed the deal for me. It has this piano like quality that keeps me picking it up more and more. I can't get enough of that thing.

My Hummingbird gets more and more jealous every day...

3. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Finally, another Breedlove fan. I knew I wasn't the only one here.

Yes, the "piano-like" quality is one of the things I like best about my Breedlove as well.

Terry

4. george4908

george4908 Member

I had a Breedlove MJ-E 12-string. Easily the finest 12-string I've ever played. Powerful, clear, balanced and sounded like it had its own onboard reverb. I only sold it because I was having wrist and elbow pain at the time and the 12 strings were making it worse. Of course, I would like to have that one back now, as my arm is okay. I'll never own a better 12.

5. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

The new Lowden thread has 19 replies. Our Breedlove thread only has 4:eek:

Any other Breedlove fans out there?

Terry

6. smoove

smoove Guest

Working on it...

Shopped for months and finally decided on Breedlove because of the tone and overall construstion - loved the ones I played.

So, I picked up a cedar on mahogany master class C25 in June, but due to unfortunate circumstances, it's at Breedlove right now for repairs.

So a fan to say the least, and an owner, but not a player right at the moment.

I am surprised to find so few responses. I'm new to TGP, but I figured there would be more posts about them.

7. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Sorry to hear about the problem! I hope it is nothing serious and you get your guitar back soon.

Terry

8. smoove

smoove Guest

I should see it again in early October and am greatly looking forward to it's arrival.

Two questions and an observation:
    1) Anyone have any experience with the BlueStick pickup system? This one has it and I have not plugged it in yet, so I am still excited to hear that part of it. Have heard great things ABOUT it, but have not heard IT.

2) Any insight into the bridge truss system? Does this make the guitar more susceptible to top issues because of the lighter bracing?

When I got the guitar, to my surprise, there was no paperwork with it that stipulated that I have to agree to use the term 'piano-like' when describing it. Yet, strangely, that's the term I began to use. (Behold, the power of suggestion - especially when the suggeston is completely accurate.)

9. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

That's good.

As to the BlueStick - I have not even heard of that system. I'll have to check it out. I ended up with a B-Band system with which I am really pleased.

The bridge truss is interesting. It really doesn't require constant adjustment (n my experience) and is quite easy to adjust if necessary. Breedlove has instructions on their website, or you can call and one of the service people can help you through the procedure.

In some respects, I would think the truss would make the top less susceptible to problems in that it allows the top to be subject to a constant and consistent amount of tension. I would also imagine that the truss provides a balance in terms of tension so that there is no undue force being applied to the glue joints.

I just treat it like any other quality acoustic when it comes to humidity and care. However, I have only had mine for about 1 1/2 years.

Good one on the "piano-like" bit:D But it's true!

Terry

10. smoove

smoove Guest

From my (limited) research, people seem to either love or hate the bluestick. It's an under-the-saddle pickup, but is NOT a piezo. And it sort of seems that the people who have had bad experiences also seem to have had shoddy installation (and can't admit that their 'luthier' may not have done it right.)

More at http://www.schertlerusa.com/bluestick.htm

I played a Takamine Santa Fe LTD 97 for years and just sort of got used to the piezo quack (but the guitar played great). I am looking forward to some warmth in my 'plugged in' sound, but I know that most of that will come from being a better instrument, cedar top, etc.

I did see where Breedlove recommends AGAINST using a sound-hole humidifier, as they tend to affect the inside of the guitar and not the whole thing at once. And that makes sense, but I guess I have to wonder, wouldn't that be better than nothing?

Any insight there?

And for the record, I have a piano, and comparing the Breedlove to it is hardly a compliment. :) Depends on the piano, I guess.

Scott

11. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

I checked out the BlueStick after you mentioned it earlier and noticed some similarities between it and the B-band. The B-band AST and UST are not piezos either.

As to the soundhole humidifer, it is okay to use one as long as it does not completely seal the soundhole. A humidifier such as the Planet Waves for example is fine. I checked with Breedlove on this when I got my guitar.

Terry

12. Galejt

Galejt Member

Breedlove OM-R here. Sweet piedmont fingerpicker. This bell like tone is a little earthy with a big bottom. Me likey.

13. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

That sounds nice. I saw the Revival series at the NAMM show but have not played one.

Terry

14. proactiv

proactiv Guest

Breedlove Ed Gerhard here with LR Baggs Dual Source. A fine instrument. Thuderous bass. Made for picking ala Ed Gerhard but just fine for struming, too.

Also have a Henthorne with the Schertler Blue Stick and it works just great.

The trick with the Blue Stick is have it properly installed, and to keep the volume wheel set at a low to mid level, an use your amp/preamp to shape the tone. I run my guitars through either a Rivera Sedona or Schertler Unico.

15. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

16. jcground

jcground Member

I have a Breedlove Quartz mandolin that I really like a lot. From time to time I get M.A.S. for a Rogue, but so far I have resisted (just because of the cost).

They make great guitars too. For me, I like the sound every bit as much as Collings and better than a lot of more well known brands. I think their styling turns some players off, but that's probably part of their appeal to some others: they're different.

The only thing I wish they'd change is the string geometry in the headstock. I prefer straight string pull if I can get it, though it's somewhat rare on acoustics in general. (I know that's a bigger deal with electrics that are tremolo equipped.)

17. proactiv

proactiv Guest

What a coincidence.. I just acquired a mandolin and have never played one in my life. I'm a long-time guitar player, though. What would you recomment for a good way to learn mandolin? Any good material you can point me to?
    Thanks,
    Paul

18. jcground

jcground Member

The standard "introduction" to mandolins for experienced guitarists is to think of the fretboard as a guitar "upside down" - meaning that since the mando is tuned like a violin, you can simply invert the shape of many guitar chords and quickly do simple arpeggios and comp. That tip alone was enough to get me to the point where people who don't play thought I was good. (People who do play know better, of course :p A real mandolin player can dust me off playing with their feet.)

The good news is that there are also a lot of free resources on the Web that can get you started with the mandolin. I recommend the stuff from Folk of the Wood (a store that specializes in all kinds of acoustic instruments).

Here's their free mando lesson page:
    http://www.folkofthewood.com/page5296.htm

Lots of good stuff there.

19. proactiv

proactiv Guest

Thanks, Jim.
    Checkin' it out..

20. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Well I may be late on this thread but I am certainly a Breedlove fan. I do not currently own one but I have played about 10 or 15 of them over the years. I love the SC20 and the Gerhard ones alot but I have to say the drednaought style ones that I have played really sounded and played great (thye just don't look as good so they get overlooked I think).

Some of the BLs sound like they lack highs but I think that is because the bass is so strong.

On the "quak" issue, I recently started using an LR baggs para acoustic DI with my a BIG Jumbo Gibson that had a really quaky pup and a boomness that, depending on the system, could get out of control and the Para DI makes it sound fantastic. My buddy uses a taylor with the ES and he is envious.

Back to the breedloves I absolutly love the neck shape and fel and I even like the head stock!