Breedlove Passport / Martin LXM - side by side (vids)

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by fatback, Jun 21, 2006.

1. fatback

fatback Member

[​IMG]

Here are a few quick vids to demonstrate some of the differences between the Breedlove, Passport and the Martin, LXM travel guitars.

I love the low-end that the little Martin puts out and its mellowness when picked. The Martin also has the most comfortable neck these big hands have found on a travel guitar.

I really dig the chime and harmonics of the Breedlove. Picked double-stops can do a decent mandolin impression. Plugged in it sounds sweet and full when lightly fingerpicked.

These two "little buddies" really have their own distinctive personalities. For me, this warrants keeping both around.
    :D

side by side comparison:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8242936748344787983

Passport - fingerstyle (electric with delay/reverb from a Kurzweil. Mangler)
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3397348933204306384

LXM - picked/strummed
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6056975305861410220

2-speed acoustic leslie...:nono
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3580586747178366536

cheers.
    [​IMG]

2. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Good stuff !! What was the LM miked with ?

Love the other vids and playing . I been wasting my time on cabs when I coulda picked up a Hotpoint at curbside . :AOK :D

You need a personalized gig bag for the LM , shoot me an email . :BEER

[​IMG]

3. fatback

fatback Member

Gig bag.... heck that would make a sweet summer micro-mumu!

:D

I used the built in mic from my camera, a Cannon A70, on all of the clips.

cheers.

4. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Mental picture of a TMI video unless you know a short woman . :p

I figured it was camcorder but I'm video challenged ( read without) and didn't know if some of em have inputs for regular mikes or not .

5. Zim

Zim Member

Hey that was pretty cool. I think I like the Martin the best, In fact I may go get one now, that looked like fun!

6. LilSteve

LilSteve Member

Once again Fatback's clips provide useful content, when will the manufacture sites learn...

Anyway, glad I found this thread, I am thinking of getting a compact player like these two to take to our cabin in the high Colorado back country. I have a 455/714 Taylor's that I usually take, but get a little nervous with them in the outdoor elements.

Couple of questions, how do these compare to the Baby Taylor? From the clips I like the sound of the Martin better. This is a Breedlove C25 right? I looked at a C20 and it had a neckplate with screws. Is the C25 the same? Bags or cases with these?

7. fatback

fatback Member

I was never a fan of the baby Taylor, it's neck shape or it's tone. The little Martin has much more body to it's tone.

The Breedlove Passports do have a bolt-on necks. It has two hex screws ends recessed on the back. I've had no problems with the neck shifting. The Martin came with a nice little padded gig-bag. The Breedlove came in the mail in a cardboard box, (d'oh!). No serious damage, but the contact pickup was floating loose inside the body when I received it.
    :jo

cheers.

8. Tahitijack

Tahitijack Member

I was expecting the Breedlove to sound better since they have a rep for solid bass tone. To my surprise I enjoyed the Martin more and would buy it over the Breedlove if/when I need to replace my Baby Taylor.

Thanks for the A/B video Mr. Fatback!

9. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Little Martin is tuned regular pitch .