1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Brennan B2 and other Home CD Playing/Storing Solutions

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by Benny, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Benny

Benny Gold Supporting Member

The Brennan B2 (http://www.thebrennan.com/) just popped up on my radar as a potential solution to having all my old CDs playable and usable at home as part of my pretty simple home hifi setup. Seems like a somewhat evolved CD player/iPod in that can handle normal playback but also supports digital storage, playlists, interfaces with a phone or laptop, and has some other potentially useful features for folks like me who have a fairly good-sized CD collection.

Anyone here already have one? Any other home listening solutions that folks are enjoying?

2. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

I'm on my second Technics SL-MC7 110 disc CD changer, in the kitchen with Carver power amp, preamp and Boston Acoustic ceiling speakers.

3. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

I use iTunes. Store my CD's as Apple Lossless, though with big hard drives, it could be any format (AIFF, WAV etc).

I have an Apple Airport Express and use the digital optical output (Toslink) to my preamp that has a DAC built in.

Bit perfect wireless off my iPad or iMac. Sounds way better than an analog (1/8" stereo to 2 RCA plugs) cable out of the iPad headphone/analog output jack.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  4. Sigmund Floyd

Sigmund Floyd Supporting Member

I'd like to get this.. just put all my CD's on it, play it through a good system. What DAC does it have in it...?

5. mixsit

mixsit Member

Wow thank you for posting this, it looks very interesting. I've just begun delving into options like this; To get into moving CD's into a music on the PC' like server systems -as a replacement for our failing existing CD player, as well as conversion of LP's. (I'll need a phono preamp apparently but that's fine.
    I also have been put some tracks onto the computer - for reference' tracks to import into the DAW, and that looks totally doable as well. (it seems it can do this remaining as the original WAV files rather than their FLACK format.)
    Again thank's for the heads up'. :)

6. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

7. diego

diego Member

I have a friend who bought a Brennan awhile back and spent a good amount of time loading everything onto it, only to have it dump its memory later on. So, believe them when they say to... back it up.

8. mixsit

mixsit Member

Thanks. Wow..

There was something in there about 'proper shut down, re 'typical dismounting of drives IIRC.
    And if so, could make for another item' around wanting to be on the UPS. Hmm. ;)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  9. Benny

Benny Gold Supporting Member

Thanks folks - looks like there are a number of similar products and some more research for me to do.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  10. Badfinger

Badfinger Member

I have the aforementioned Bluesound Vault. All my cds are loaded (2 tb extendable) and it has a built in interface to HDTRACKS and other hi def providers, as well as streaming services. Interface is thru apps. I also have a Power Node that streams from the Vault into another room, powering some Definitive Technology bookshelf speakers. Love the setup, I'm constantly amazed at how easy it is to consume music, given I grew up in lp's, 8 tracks, cassettes and cds..

11. Sigmund Floyd

Sigmund Floyd Supporting Member

Can the vault be hardwired to a home stereo? Or is it all wireless? Thx

12. Badfinger

Badfinger Member

The Vault is hardwired to the amplifier via RCA cables (or it has a digital output as well). It also has to be hardwired to the internet via ethernet cable. That's the only downside, but I use Google WiFi (3 base units) so sitting the Vault next to one of the WiFi base units wasn't a problem. The Power Node streams wireless over my home network. I looked at the Brennan via the link above, I don't think it was available when I got the Bluesound. One thing I like about the Bluesound, which may be true for the Brennan (IDK), is to my laptop, the Vault is just an external drive. I have two backups of the music, one on a dedicated backup drive, and the other I copied onto a laptop (not only as a backup, but my traveling listening station). Some observations with Bluesound:
    1) not all cds will rip, some will error out. Doesn't seem to matter on whether the cd is new or not, I've had brand new cds error out, and old "worn" cds copy fine. When one errors out, I use an external cd drive to my laptop and rip it that way. Then I capture the album art off the internet and paste it to the folder (artist / album)
    2) some data tags get messed up when you rip outside of the Vault. I downloaded a tag editor to make sure all the files are tagged appropriately.
    3) I loaded my iTunes library into Bluesound, no problem. Some album art didn't make it, but iTunes has a problem with that as well.
    4) I like the fact that most of my catalog is flac now, very few legacy iTunes files. And I've used the HDTracks interface to buy some HiDef albums, which does make a noticeable difference in sound quality
    5) I was originally going to set up a laptop as the music server, but knowing myself as I do, I would shut the laptop down when not listening to music. Then I would be hesitant to randomly fire it up to listen because of the hassle. Bluesound is always on, the only delay is waiting on the NAD to fire up.
    6) I downloaded the app to my Android phone, Android tablets and iPad. That works great, nice interface
    7) Ripping a large cd collection takes some time. Each cd could take several minutes. I set the Vault up and would load cds randomly throughout the day over a couple of months.

Overall I'm happy with this setup. The streaming to the Powernode makes listening to music as background easily accomplished (as opposed to listening sessions via the NAD / Vault / B&W towers). I might buy a Node (which streams, but doesn't have a built-in amplifier like the PowerNode) to hook into my home theater, but don't have the need at this point.

13. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

Now that it is possible to stream CD quality (and better) through for instance Tidal, is it really worth ripping CDs and creating personal libraries? Sure, there are things that are not on Tidal, but just now ECM put their entire catalog on Tidal. It's just a matter of time I guess before most stuff is on there. Of course you're dependent on a decent internet connection, so if that's an issue, I see the point. But for people in urban areas?

paulg likes this.
  14. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

Exactly what I was going to say. I ripped about 1900 CD's to an NAS hard drive. If I'd have experienced Tidal at that time I wouldn't have bothered. About 98% of my CD collection is availavle on Tidal. High Rez streaming is the bomb and it's here to stay.