Brian May proves that small amps kick ass!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fierce_carrot, Mar 30, 2010.

1. seiko

seiko Member

Seriously, one of the rehearsal spaces I had used to use had an amazingly loud Korg-era AC30, would hang with the JCM800 stack in the place and ate the JC120 alive. I was already well aware that wattage ratings are largely meaningless but this was a really loud and graphic reminder

2. Bigsby

Bigsby Member

3. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

I own a '62 AC-30 which I play daily. It sits next to a Marshall half-stack ('72 50W bass head & cab) and is every bit as big and loud in its presentation as the Marshall rig. Well... that particular Marshall is a beast... so maybe not quite as big. But equally in need of attenuation if I wanted to run it on "6" or above anywhere I'll ever play besides my own studio.

The AC-30 is an absolute joy to play, fwiw. Definitely my all-time favorite. Not that I'm an "all-time favorite" kinda guy. :messedup

4. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

That was a great show!

5. fierce_carrot

fierce_carrot Member

The 2nd guitarist is there, but there is absolutely no doubt that Brian's guitar is the main guitar people hear. I listened very closely and you can hear each and every power chord Brian plays is easily discernable.

6. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] It's called the "Deacy" in honor of its creator, John Deacon, Queen's bassist, and it's an unlikely combination of a piecemeal amp, built of parts salvaged from a refuse heap in the early 1970's, and May's handcrafted "Treble Booster" pedal. Along with his guitar, this constituted an entirely original, homemade system, with a surprisingly pleasing and unmistakable sound quality.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] May's one-of-a-kind combo amp started with a simple amplifier circuit board that consisted of an obsolete solid-state design, and was almost certainly lifted from a discarded car radio. The board was installed into a compact, 1960's "bookshelf" HiFi speaker cabinet, fitted with a small woofer and tweeter. There were no controls to speak of, and the invention was powered by a 9 Volt battery, yielding an output of 0.45 Watts RMS. When teamed with May's Treble Boost pedal (which accentuates the upper-mid frequencies) and Red Special guitar, the resulting sound was both unnervingly beautiful and historically monumental."[/FONT]​

7. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    ahh..... The Edge has played stadiums for years with two AC30's.
    Enuf said :)

8. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Love it! This is my fav Queen clip, in H-Town of course!

9. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I swear to god my AC30 was heavier than my twin reverb.:peenut

10. illini

illini Member

Thanks for the clip. Although I agree with others that the AC30 isn't the first to come to mind when I think of a small amp.

11. colin617

colin617 Senior Member

While I do love a good Queen tune (and I love the tone May gets on the intro to Fat Bottomed Girls), I don't consider an AC30 a "small" amp.

Now Ryan Adams' Princetons -- those are awesome sounding.

12. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

They are

13. Redbell

Redbell Member

That "White Man" was Queen at the top of their game, just the best!

14. zephaniah zion

zephaniah zion Member

In this case, ki=su! hahahahahahaha

15. Unabender

Unabender Member

You can hear the 2nd guitarist's playing clearly as May does solo at around 3 minutes into the video.

They are using an age old trick: The 2nd guitarist basically plays what the 1st guitarist plays with a similar sound, making it sound like a single huge guitar.

16. suparsonic

suparsonic Member

Off topic slightly, that vid goes to show just how good queen are, even without Freddy. Stellar job by PR. Huge guitar sound as usual, as mentioned, mostly double tracked though.