Brian Setzer last night

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by The Captain, Feb 27, 2009.

1. The Captain

The Captain Member

Saw The Stray Cats last night.
    I knew it was coming up but I didn't have a ticket. Got a last minute call from a friend with two tix, but he had just got back from overseas and was too wiped out to do the hour drive to teh venue. So I chauffered him and got a ticket for my trouble.
    Anyway, I've had a Setzer Hot Rod for a couple of years, but honestly haven't heard a note he played since Stray Cat Strut was originally on teh charts 20 odd years ago.
    He gets so much praise on this forum, I was happy to go on that reccomendation.
    Let's just say he did not disappoint !!
    It was interesting music. Rockabilly is clearly a narrowly defined style, and could easily get boring and repetitive, but Setzer's chops are so good, he just blew through song after song without repeating himself or getting in a rut. He played a really noice instrumental piece with a heavy jazz flavour that blew everyone away.
    I was impressed that he played the whole set on his orange 1959 without needing to tune at all.
    He brought out a spotty looking Gretsch for the first encore, which again, played teh set without a tuning halt.
    Second encore was a real treat for me. He stripped to his singlet, and walked out with a purple Hot Rod, the same as my namesake guitar, Violet, and ripped into Motorhead's "Ace of Spades".
    Funny to see I'm not the only one playing metal on a hollowbody Gretsch !!

2. gillibi

gillibi Supporting Member

Thanks for the review, sounds like a cool show. I haven't seen him in years.

Is he still using the two blonde Bassmans w/Roland Space Echo up top?

3. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

He's a nice enough guy but he really didn't need to have rubbed it in in my high school yearbook that I needed a new amp. ;)

[​IMG]

4. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

What does that say above 'get a damn amp'? Keep playing...what?

Cool! :bow

5. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Jon you played bass in high school? Glad to see you graduated...to six strings! =p

6. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

Oh, 'bass', now I see it.
    :jo

7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

No, that's not "bass," that's short for "big ass" ... "keep playing 'big ass' " ... :eek: ... :D

Brian was a high school friend and, for a short while when I was in 10th grade and he in 8th (yes, he was that good from the beginning), bandmate.

I switched permanently to guitar in college. Still own a bass (and yes, a bass amp ;) ) and still play bass with my fingers (never a pick) but I'm a 100% guitarist now.

P.S.

Q. What's the difference between Jerry Seinfeld, Alec Baldwin, Elliot Easton, Brian Setzer, and me?

A. I'm the Massapequa High School graduate you know personally. :p

8. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub

Man I wish I could have seen him. I'm a huge fan, especially of his BSO stuff. I wish he toured in the US more. Wife was gonna surprise me with Christmas concert tickets this year for my birthday, but he had surgery or something and canceled.

GAD