Brian Setzer prefers dead strings - his tech never changes them.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by WordMan, Apr 14, 2019.

1. WordMan

WordMan Member

I got the latest Guitar Player - Brian Setzer, Molly Tuttle, reviews of the Greg Koch sig and Fender acoustasonic Tele; seemed worth it. BS’s tech is interviewed and shares that they realized Brian prefers dead strings years ago. The strings on his main 6120 have 70 gigs on them :eek:

Heresy! Sacrilege! Meh!

I kill strings dead with my sweat so had to learn to pick guitars that sound good with dead strings ;) Nice to know I’m in good company.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Dale, transmaniac, bluesoul and 3 others like this.
  2. porcytree

porcytree Member

Grant Nicholas ( Feeder ) also does this on his Jazzmasters

TBH, I have a Jazzmaster that I really like the tone of but recently I felt that it was time to change the strings ( they'd been on for around 3 months or so ). Since changing the stings it seems overly bright to me so I clearly like "dead" strings too.

Weird though, I can't stand the sound of "old" strings on my LP or Tele ( I change these as soon as I notice a "dulling" of the tone )

Bieling3, dani_boy79 and fretless like this.
  3. fretless

fretless Silver Supporting Member

Finally something I have in common with a legend!

Seriously though I change my strings 3 times a year tops. First of all my hands aren’t even slightly sweaty or acidic, so the strings have zero funk. Lastly I hate zingy super bright tones. I only change them when they have tuning issues.

bandmaster, guff, eriwebnerr and 20 others like this.
  4. WordMan

WordMan Member

Oh, sure, parade it around ;)

5. cram

cram Member

yeah,..I've let it go too long on the guitar. I still play and enjoy, but fret indentations on the strings are what pushes me into the task of changing strings.
    I'll say this - when I do change them out it's like a brand new instrument. It's like getting a haircut and a brand new pair of. shoes in the same day.
    The guitar simply feels that good with a new set.

chumbucket, e???, macatt and 5 others like this.
  6. CC Overdrive

CC Overdrive Member

I played a gig a few summers ago inside the JFK Memorial library for a conference. we played for abour 2 hours. on the few hours after set up I felt really off, not really sick....just not right. so we played, and I sweat like I've never sweat before (wasnt feeling quite right). anyways, I played, rocked the gig, and packed up. Like an amateur, I just dumped my sweat soaked reverend into its case, and there it stayed for a week or two.

When I Opened it up, the strings, which were new, were black, brittle, and straight up rusty. pick guard screws needed replacement, and I had to lightly sand my frets, which were all corroded as well. there was enough dried salt on the poly to cure a small ham. I'm a sweater any way, but I'm usually good about toweling down my gear. what ever it was about that night, and my bodies pH remains a mystery.

chumbucket, MisterBoh and fretless like this.
  7. wilto

wilto Member

I change my strings so rarely, I need a tetanus shot before I play.

8. sws1

sws1 Member

Brian does it by choice.
    I suspect some here do it cause they're lazy.

9. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I do it by choice. My sweat is not acidic, my strings last forever. I like the way they sound (like Brian Setzer) with a bit of the zing taken off the top in many cases.

I don't have a heavy touch so they last a long time.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  10. WordMan

WordMan Member

You say Potato, I say I kill strings within a couple of hours, so fresh strings are never a reality anyway.

Fortunately I favor a strong fundamental and not ringing harmonics. My old J-45 sounds great with old strings.

Average Joe likes this.
  11. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Silver Supporting Member

This is an outrage and the next time I see Setzer - I'm gonna let him know it in no uncertain terms!! :p Seriously - I like new strings after about 1-2 hours of break in - it just brings life back to the guitar. But what do I know - no one from Guitar Player is calling to book me for an interview and I don't have a summer tour scheduled. My manager says demand is a bit soft in the concert circuit for artists who mainly play in the basement with no band and no recordings. I told him he's a Negative Nelly! :D

AZJim, chumbucket, JRuss1525 and 7 others like this.
  12. jackson

jackson Supporting Member

70 gigs on the same strings? I don't believe that.

e???, Fat tone79, rickfish99 and 7 others like this.
  13. ED_P

ED_P Silver Supporting Member

I change mine when they break and that's it. Dead is an ugly term. When I have a new string on my guitar, especially a wound string, I find them annoyingly metallic sounding until they are "broken in", which is a much more accurate term.

14. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Member

It depends on the amount/chemistry of the person's sweat. I sweat very little in my hands and it's noncorrosive, so I've gotten away with keeping a string set for months and they still looked/sounded decent when I took them off, even though they were stretched out to the point of not holding tuning anymore, they still looked fairly new.

But I played with a guy who by the end of a single gig his strings would be completely corroded.
    He even had to replace his saddles once an year or something crazy while I have guitars I've been playing for 10+ years with little to no corrosion. Different body chemistries...

15. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Must be a new thing. In his rig rundown his tech says he changes them every two shows, but Brian would leave them on for a month if he could.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  16. Horizontalmode

Horizontalmode Member

That’s why his string endorsed company love him

17. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...er-this-section-for-music-discussion.2027011/

18. laurabaileysirishcre

laurabaileysirishcre Supporting Member

With my Electrics, I leave them on as long as they stay in tune or break. I only replace the one that needs it too. My low e string is probably a year old at this point.

With Acoustics, I am the complete opposite. I leave them on a Month tops. And every string gets replaced.

19. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

I went to pure nickel strings only because they don't sound as 'zingy' straight outta the package as regular strings do... and I don't change my strings very often. Certainly not every 6-8 hours of play time... more like twice a year or so (play about 3 gigs/month)

20. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

In my ever wandering mind I have wondered if some of the inherent brightness of early 60s era Fender blackface amps was supposedly offset by the then common pure nickel guitar strings?

Anyway.
    I liked dead strings when I was playing heavier rock when I was young.

I like fresh strings for the country music I play now.

e???, Da Geezer and Page of Cups like this.