Brian Setzer style amp for 1000dollar?

Pguitars

I looking for a amp to play Rockabilly (setzer style) but my budget is around 800-1100 dollars. What are options? Bassman LTD? Btw i have Reverb unit and a real Tube tape echo.

IM4Tone

I think a major consideration is where you're going to play it. Keep in mind that Setzer plays old bassmans LOUD....very LOUD. That plays a major role in the tone and breakup. If the venue will allow the volume, get a '59 Bassman LTD (used); if not, get a smaller very clean (fender-like) amp and add a Wampler '57 Tweed pedal. You have the reverb/echo covered.

dkelley

Yup.... Wouldn't believe how loud a bassman is to get that tone

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

bullet6759

A Magnatone 260 1959 not as loud as a bassman but can be mic'd. Any Gibson from 1950s with 15" speaker GA-77 GA-80 GA-70 most underrated amps ever.

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
He also drives the input pretty hard on his amps with his Roland Space Echo. It's sort of a huge overdrive pedal the way he uses it.

IM4Tone

This is the answer. The guys that think it's too loud need to get out of the house more often. :)
It's not 'the guys that think it's too loud' that's my point, it the ownership of the venue that so frequently scream "TURN IT DOWN". (Which takes away from the best tones to be had from the bassman.)

If you haven't heard that, woof, you need to play some of these 'bar' venues more often.

zenas

I always see him with blonde Bassmans there's three of those that I know of. The 6G6, 6G6-A and 6G6-B. Different circuits than the 5F6-A Bassmans.
Not sure which channel he uses and those amps have completely different circuits in the two channels.
At anyrate Marsh makes a blonde Bassman clone kit or if you could find a trashed black or silverface head of some sort and rewire it. Was going to do just that with a hack modded Bandmaster head but ended up giving it to a friend.

Woops just saw saw your in Holland. That may change things on price alot.

prototype

Silver Supporting Member
since you're not going to find a blonde fender in that price range i say find an old bf/sf head and mod one channel to have a tonestack bypass. this will give a rawer, tweedy sound. then jump that channel in with the regular blackface side and blend the two. best way to approximate blonde tone IMO

dkelley

It's not 'the guys that think it's too loud' that's my point, it the ownership of the venue that so frequently scream "TURN IT DOWN". (Which takes away from the best tones to be had from the bassman.)

If you haven't heard that, woof, you need to play some of these 'bar' venues more often.
exactly. the other guy can go ahead and get fired. only time I could open up a huge amp was when I was touring in the 90s.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Trending Topics