Brian Setzer style delay What pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by g335, Dec 31, 2010.

1. g335

g335 Member

Hello

What delay/echo pedal would be good to get the Brian Setzer style Rockabilly Jazz sound?

I know he uses a old Roland Space Echo but cant afford that and its too big.

What are some alternatives that sound good?

Help Please

2. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

Pretty much any good analog delay.

On the cheap: Way Huge Aquapuss RI

High on the Hog: Maxon AD999 or Maxon AD999 Pro (this can give you some different doth eight triplet feels that could work in Rockabilly due to the interrupt switches on the front)...

3. ruger9

ruger9 Member

Just about any analog or digital-but-analog-modeled delay. AD999, Echo Park, Brigadier, El Capistan... there are more that WILL do it than won't...

Only delays I've played that didn't, imo, do the rockabilly thing well:
    DMM
    Carbon Copy (too dark)
    any straight-up digital delay (no analog model)

But, really, it's just one quick slap... virtually any delay on the market will do it. When you get into the echoes for SLEEPWALK-type stuff, that's different. You'll need a touch of modulation for that... Echo Park, El Capistan.

4. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

With the Straycats, he used a basic MXR analog delay for a quick slapback. It doesn't need to be fancy for that sound.

5. B-Squared

B-Squared Member

It's a simple 'slap back' delay. You can do it with almost any delay pedal, even the cheapest one at the store. I have a Boss DD7, and it's easy to set up.

This guy (Jason Lee) demos a couple different ways to use a DD6. First he shows a more ethereal delay, then he finishes with rockabilly...shows you exactly how to set it up. You'll have to get past his freaky hair-doo. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqTkhxQ9RD0&feature=channel

BB

6. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

I would suggest the following:

RE-20 Space Echo
    Way Huge Aqua Puss RI

7. ckeathley14

ckeathley14 Supporting Member

Get the Aqua Puss RI and it comes with a booklet that shows a superb slapback setting...

8. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

I plugged into an Aqua Puss RI, and went, OMG, it's the Stray Cats.

9. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Unless you object to the powering requirements the Nova Repeater is fantastic and goes far beyond simple slap. I miss that box, even though I presently have the El Capistan - which I think is the ultimate tape simulation in a pedal. For not too expensive and within a comfy confined space it's hard to beat the Carbon Copy. It can be dark, like most of the analog pedals, but it's a gorgeous dark.

10. SnorkelMonkey

SnorkelMonkey Member

A lot of people don't realize Brian Setzer uses Echoplex's in the studio. You'll notice that on a lot of tracks there's not a night and day difference between his studio tone and his live. It's all in the hands and he uses all his echo units for quick slapback for the most part.

Real tape echo units have a vibe that makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. That's hard to come by in a pedal. Part of it is the natural tape saturation, part of it is the natural tape compression, and part of it is tape flutter not to mention the electronics themselves.

Part and parcel of that classic tape echo sound is the light chorus like modulation it produces. It's not as simple as just setting up an analog delay to a simple short repeat. When you get behind the real thing that light modulation instantly transports you back in time, think Les Paul's "How High The Moon". Very classy, jazzy like vibe. It fattens up your guitar sound like a chorus pedal but a lot more transparent.

I own a few tape echo units and service them btw. I've not tried the strymon but I've tried/owned piles of analog (usually too dark sounding to really nail it, most lack modulation) and digital delay units (a lot of them don't do the analog like decay, most lack modulation). The deluxe memory man has a built in chorus effect that if you set it ever so slightly on with a short slap back delay comes really close to that tone. Another is the Ibanez DE-7 in echo mode. I'm not sure if they added a chorus modulated effect to the unit? But it sounds like it's in there ever so slightly thickening up the delay like a good old tape unit. That delay is an absolute bargain btw. In fact if I could recommend a small affordable delay unit for rockabilly slap back echo stuff that one would be it. I'd take it over everything else including the DMM.

11. binge

binge Member

Boss DD-20 can get you that slapback thing happening.

12. Slideman

Slideman Member

I'm a huge fan of the RE-20 and the AP reissue....in fact I use both. :)

13. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I use a Keeley AD9 for my slapback sounds. When I want to do "Sleepwalk", I just max out the delay time knob and I'm good to go. I like to keep things simple, especially when playing live.

14. shakeshakeshake

shakeshakeshake Member

I think digital delays are much better at a good slapback, analog ones are to dark and muddy
    I hated my aquapuss