1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Brian Stoltz - Auto Wah?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mikey Likes It, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

I saw PBS (Porter, Batiste and Stoltz) last night with Steve Kimock sitting in. What a supremely funky trio!!! Kimock hung in the background most of the set, until they got into a long medley of "Down by the River" and Pink Floyd's "Breathe", then he cut loose. Great jamming. Anyway, I'm not going to dwell on how great it was. Brian is a MASTER of funk, as I suppose he would heave to be to play with the Nevilles all those years. He had a pedal board that I couldn't see, and I didn't get a chance to talk to him (the wife dragged me out like I was a little puppy or something).

He had some great sounds going, one of which was an envelope filter or auto-wah. Does anyone know what he uses?

2. Wooley

Wooley Member

Yeah, Stoltz is pretty ridiculously good. Of course, playing with the legendary George Porter always inspires people to their best. But he's always good. I used to be pretty familiar with his board (he didn't used to use an auto-wah), but last time I saw them, about 2 months ago or so, his board was very different. I was at the show when they invented the Down By The River/Breathe medley. "River" is something George does at a lot of his shows, and it's awesome, and they're rockin' it and Brian walks over to George while they're playing and whispers something in his ear. George looks at him like he's nuts and shakes his head "no", but Stoltz just starts diggin in his binder and pulls out a sheet of paper and shows it to George. Nobody knew what to expect but about two minutes later we realized that the song we were hearing was no longer "River". It took us all about a minute to figuer out what it was, but for those who were there, we talked about it for weeks. Phenomenal.
    Anyway, next time I see PBS, I'll check his board for you. I get to see them at a club where I could reach down and tie their shoes together, usually for about 10 bucks. I'll see if I can check it out for you.

By the way, who's Steve Kimock?

3. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

I haven't talked to Brian in awhile. Not since Katrina hit New Orleans. I know he lost alot of gear, so I'm assuming it changed.

Here's what he used from what I remember. With PBS he used a Marshall jcm 800 half stack, Dunlop Crybaby wah, Boss TU-tuner, Tube Screamer, Chandler Tube Driver, MXR Flanger, Fulltone Deja Vibe, and a MXR analog delay. He played a Strat with noiseless single coils and a Custom Telecaster.

This is just off the top of my head from what I remember using. Like I said, This was pre Katrina gear. I know with the Funky Meters he used a Mesa Boogie Tri-Axis/ Boogie 2:90 power amp combination. With that setup the pedal stayed the same minus the Tube Screamer and Chandler. Hope this helps!

Mike

4. Mikey Likes It

Thanks - he had that strat and tele. I didn't recognize either of the amp heads. The pedals aound about right, with the addition of the auto-wah, and I think there was some delay on one song.

Kimock had a "jam band" called Zero - a lot of nice instrumental tracks, as on his new solo CD. He always had ties to the Dead. His rig included two heads: Dumble and Two Rock.

http://www.kimock.com/frames/index_home.html

5. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

:messedup Not sure if that description is exactly accurate. Zero weren't an instrumental group, and still aren't (They're back together w/ Jerry Joseph on vocals). In fact, they had the same lyricist (Robert Hunter) as the Grateful Dead.

Kimock came out west w/ the Goodman's who were anything but a "Jam band" back in the 70s. He has also done tons of work w/ Banana of Youngbloods fame, who also isn't a 'jamband'. After the Goodman's, he played w/ Bob Weir's Kingfish a little, as well as Donna and Keith's post-GD group Heart of Gold Band.

Before SKB he was in a group w/ Ray White (Zappa fame), Bobby Vega, and Alan Hertz (Garaj Mahal) called KVHW. They were sort of a 'travelling bar band', mixing up notable covers and some Kimock and Hertz originals.

I highly recommend getting over to archive.org and looking up some kimock stuff...

The last incarnation to tour as Steve Kimock Band knocked the socks off of everyone: Robert Walter on B3 and Rhodes, Reed Mathis on bass, Rodney Holmes on drums, Kimock on guitars.

He's a big lap steel player, and heavily influenced by folks like Roy Buchanan and David Lindley.

6. Wooley

Wooley Member

You know what's funny is that Robert Walter has been hanging around New Orleans since Katrina, and I've seen him several times in small clubs WITH GEORGE PORTER! and drummers like Johnny Vidacovich (Astral Project) and Stanton Moore (Galactic), FOR FREE. He fits in really well down here. Sits back in the groove, then shines when his moments come.

7. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Yah he actually got a house there soon before Katrina. He'll be on tour w/ Stanton soon as the 'trio' w/ Will Bernard on guitar duties.

This year was a great High Sierra Fest...Saw a late night w/ Robert Walter's Super Heavy Organ (Robert, Johnny V on drums, Skerik on sax, some groovin upright bass player) open for Garaj a Trois (Stanton, Charlie Hunter, Mike Dillon, Skerik) went til 3:30am. Also saw a workshop w/ Johnny V and George P where tons of musicians sat in to form a trio...Robert sat in and tore the roof off the place.

check out out this SKB show w/ robert, reed, and rodney:

http://www.archive.org/details/skb2006-01-22_16bit

You can stream the show w/ the player on the top right of the page.

8. Mikey Likes It

Well, I stand corrected. I guess i was referring to SKB's Eudemonic as instrumental music. Haven't heard any Zero stuff in years, since I lost my copy of "Chance in a Million".

I'm not sure of what defines a "Jam band", but I don't use the phrase with any negative connotation.

Thanks for the info.

9. KRosser

KRosser Member

So in other words, no one here knows what kind of Auto-wah Stoltz is using?

10. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

:D Indeed...

11. Mikey Likes It

Yeah, I'm thinking I really should've just asked him when I had the chance.

I downloaded Brian's two solo CDs yesterday off iTunes, and there is some excellent guitar work to be enjoyed!