Bridge grounding question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by skhan007, Dec 31, 2017.

1. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I have a string through parts guitar with a Nashville style bridge. Do I simply run a bus wire under the stud post and then ground to the back of the volume pot?

In the photo below, I have the stud insert removed and a piece of Bus wire fed into the cavity and the other end is going to be soldered to the volume pot casing. Do I simply push the insert into the guitar, allowing it to make contact with the Bus wire? Just want to make sure I do it right the first time. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

make sure the piece firmly presses against that wire, and yeah that's all you need to do.

massacre and skhan007 like this.
  3. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

I've put a small wad of aluminum foil at the bottom a couple times to ensure contact gets made between the bushing and the ground wire, but I can't say whether that saved me any grief or not. All I know is I didn't have problems, which doesn't really prove anything.

massacre likes this.
  4. Crunchtime

Crunchtime Member

You can also go from post to ground lug on your output jack. If you ever change pots or pickguard your ground wire can be left alone. One less wire to deal with.

massacre likes this.
  5. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I'd make a flat coil out of solid conductor wire and pull up the center slightly to resemble a cone shaped spring to increase the chance of making contact with the post when inserted. Afterwards, you could check the continuity with an ohm meter.

massacre likes this.
  6. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

If you can't pull out the wire after seating the bushing, you're probably good to go. Check continuity with your multimeter, of course.

massacre likes this.