Bridge Humbucker for Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jammer2393, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Jammer2393

Jammer2393 Member

Ive been looking around at different options and my mind is constantly changing, so I figured I'd start my own thread to directly figure out what I want. Ive been thinking about multiple different options: JB, Duncan Custom, Custom Custom, Tonezone, etc. Id like to keep options relatively centered on duncan (with the exception of the tone zone) because too many options and I'll never be able to decide :messedup

I play blues to old school metal and everything in between, but I normally use my neck for the blues type stuff anyway, so Im thinkin more on the heavier end of things. enough to do pretty respectable metal. Id like it to be clear and cut through the mix. not that I need icepick high mids, but you know, definitely enough. when in doubt, I would rather have more defined single note lines than clear chords because hey, when your soloing is when people are paying the most attention :rockin

Anyway, yeah, bridge in a strat (rosewood board) with my preferences. Whats it gonna be?
    PS currently through a fender amp (I know, not exactly high gain, but I got pedals for that).

2. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

It's hard to beat a JB in a guitar like that.

3. Jammer2393

Jammer2393 Member

I have heard that JBs vary a lot in different types of guitars, so it does do well in a strat then?

4. dazco

dazco Member

Yeah, JB's are really hit or miss. For me in strats mostly miss. Once one worked for me long ago. But i'd certainly suggest passing on that when there are 100's of others to choose from. One i find very nice is the anderson H series. I've used a H2 which is medium output, sounds full and never thing or icepicky, yet never muddy or inarticulate either. Very smooth. Also one of the best as splitting for a pretty true SC sound. They have lower output and higher than the H2 too.

5. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

Bill Lawrence Wilde L-90.

brilliant.

6. saladin

saladin Supporting Member

Custom fo sure!

7. Jammer2393

Jammer2393 Member

why would you recommend them?

8. snowblind56

snowblind56 Member

I have a Custom 5 in my Strat that sounds amazing and I use it mostly for 80's metal.

9. GSHARP

GSHARP Member

I dropped the TB-6 (is it custom custom, custom?) in my Warmoth Strat (Alder body, maple neck) and it simply rocks, much better than the JB in my opinion. It has the same characteristics of the JB but it's a bit more hotter (ceramic magnet). Well at least that's what it sounds to me.

Couple of years ago I used a Pearly Gates but I prefer the TB-6 for the stuff that I do.

10. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I like something that blends real well with the singles. Like a PAF style. A JB is awful and so middy and nasally and super loud when you switch it on from singles. It's like all of a sudden your speaker is put through a megaphone. Same with hot rails, tone zones, and all the super hot pickups. I think most amps have more than enough gain, for really heavy sounds even with weak pickups.

What I liked over the years with an HSS setup was PAF Pro, Duncan 59, EVH, stuff like that. I let the amp or pedals do the work for gain and then my strats tone doesn't have that hot muddy tone from hot pickups.

But if you're designing everything around a hot pickup, then get some hot pickups that match in tone and volume, so you don't have to re-eq everything, everytime you change pickups.

11. gulliver

gulliver Member

Not a Duncan, but if you find a used Suhr SSV in the emporium, it will work. The voicing fits Strats dead on, it's a lower output PU (matches SCs well), but does high gain crunch very well, it's EVH friendly if you're into his tone.

12. Sensates

Sensates Member

I agree. Had a JB in a hss legacy that I'm not fond of. Have since went through many changes (norton, 36th paf, 59, air classic) and now I find the dmz norton works best for me. It's in the med output territory so it works fine for cleans, drives well with pleasing midrange.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  13. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Lots of options, but I'd either go for a Custom 5 for a brighter sound or an Air Norton for a bit thicker sound.

14. beckerman

beckerman Member

the JB is a good choice and does well in that application especially with the 250k pots.

From the Custom line, I would suggest the Custom Custom. Personally, I hate ceramic pups so the basic Custom is out and though I have no problem with A5 pups, i.e Custom 5, I prefer A2 more, i.e Custom Custom. Keep in mind the only difference between the three Custom models is the magnet.

As an alternative, I would suggest the Pearly Gates. You don't always need a high output pup for metal, at least not 80's hair metal, and the PG has an edge to it that would kick butt for the bluesy stuff.

15. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

It does well in super strats. Mine anyway. It's not overly compressed like some of the other high output type of pickups. I don't use overdrive pedals so I like the extra output.

16. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

LOL, one this is for sure, evern since the 80's the JB is the most love/hated pickup in existence. It's great for that wah -vocal high bent note thing. That's really it's signature. I just like something with about the complete opposite EQ for rhythm and lower register lead stuff.

17. Jammer2393

Jammer2393 Member

of all the customs, which one cuts through the mix the best for lead?

18. DavidLM

DavidLM Member

Dimarzio Super Distortion: cheap, good, better than a JB, great in a superstrat

If it has to be a Duncan, I would try a regular 59 first and you might be surprised. It's nice more toward the vintage side but slightly trebley and midscooped.

Oh yeah, I would avoid the Tonezone unless you are already a fan of it. It will be a dark and bassy mess in almost everything.

19. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I have a JB in the bridge with 2 guitars a modified 73 strat and a 1988 Tom Anderson proto both have 3 way coil taps and separate tone control for the HB and a tone for the 2 Duncan classic stack singles. The JB's sound great

20. johnfv

johnfv Member

One of my favorite Strat bridge pickups is the Duncan Hot Rails (BUT wired in parallel). Parallel wiring reduces the output and gives more of a single coil tone (but is still hum canceling). It's easy to add a combo pot/switch on a tone control to do series/parallel switching to see what you like...