Bridge Humbucker

staybobo

I'm looking for a bridge humbucker with a Tube Screamer style mid-hump. What company and humbucker would you recommend?

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I actually have a Duncan JB (zebra coils) I could sell you cheap.

staybobo

Blues rock, jazz, jump blues, alternative county, outlaw country, county blues, & Texas blues.

Mincer

The JB certainly has upper mids, more like bark than a TS-like mid hump. A TS has sort of a lack of bass, too, which the JB doesn't have.

rstites

I'm not sure the JB is what I'd recommend for that style of music. I suspect it's hotter than what the OP wants and I agree that the pickup has bass. It also has a high mid punch to it, which is great with the right guitar, and IMO really wrong with the wrong guitar.

I'll ask the standard question here: what kind of guitar are we talking about? What wood? What bridge?

If you like the TS sculpting of the sound, why run the guitar through the TS to get that sound?

Blues rock, jazz, jump blues, alternative county, outlaw country, county blues, & Texas blues.

I'm not sure the JB is what I'd recommend for that style of music. I suspect it's hotter than what the OP wants and I agree that the pickup has bass. It also has a high mid punch to it, which is great with the right guitar, and IMO really wrong with the wrong guitar.

I'll ask the standard question here: what kind of guitar are we talking about? What wood? What bridge?

If you like the TS sculpting of the sound, why run the guitar through the TS to get that sound?

What he said.

Bob T.

A Gibson 57' Classic Plus was found in the bridge position of my Studio. Honestly, it is one of the best bridge pickups I have played. I would recommend looking into AlNiCo II humbuckers for that mid-hump type of sound where the top and bottom are more tame. Plenty of great pickup makers out there that would cater to this.

Just my $0.02.

staybobo

Guitar is a Semi-hollow Maple top Mount body. Bridge is a wraparound tailpiece.

Last edited:

rstites

I'm not 100% sure what a wraparound bridge is and I'm assuming that's maple top on mahogany. In that case, the mentioned JB is fine, but fairly hot. I think for something with more mids than stock and less gain, something like the Alnico II or even Custom Custom from Seymour Duncan might be a really good match. The Alnico II magnet tends to end up with a mid-heavy sound in a lot of pickups that might be in line with what you're looking for.

I want to mentioned something about Rio Grande pickups here because I recall liking them, but I can't link up what I've actually played with what's on their website. They had some nice mid-punchy, bluesy pickups that I got in a guitar once, but I pulled them as I'm not a blues player. They were great....just wrong for my application.

Analog Kid

Gold Supporting Member
I want to mentioned something about Rio Grande pickups here because I recall liking them, but I can't link up what I've actually played with what's on their website. They had some nice mid-punchy, bluesy pickups that I got in a guitar once, but I pulled them as I'm not a blues player. They were great....just wrong for my application.

You are probably thinking of the BBQ. A high-output, mid focused pickup...sort of like a JB, but dialed back just a little. Had one in the bridge position of a Tele HH that balanced really well with a SD59 in the neck position. Very versatile guitar, and the BBQ was as rude and aggressive as you'd ever want, but it cleaned up pretty well too.

buddastrat

I had a BBQ and it was what a JB wished it'd be. Much better, the same stuff as JB but not so obnoxious/animated at it. It worked nicer with other pickups and rigs. JB is a little like a TS to me, both have the nasal thing. But a TS9 is cooler because you can turn it on/off when you want it.

rstites

It must have been the BBQ. It was a really nice pickup for cleanish to light overdrive bluesy playing, and really up to classic rock. I think I replaced it with an Anderson H-3(+) because that matches what I was doing better, but I wouldn't call it a better pickup. Just different. For that matter, an H-2+ might be a good recommendation, but they're a little more even and less mids focused. That's what I like about Anderson's higher output pickups.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom