Bridge humbuckers that sound good with 250k pots?

bigben55

My next guitar, ideally I've decided, needs a bridge humbucker and a single coil neck. I know Fender made a telecaster like that. G&L makes the Fallout, Reverend makes the Double Agent. I'm not against a P90 neck, but would rather have a low output/PAF type bridge and a hot strat/tele type neck. The problem is the pots.

So what bridge buckers work well with 250k pots? I was thinking getting a G&L ASAT Classic, a new humbucker fitting bridgeplate and a 4 way switch: bridge bucker, split bridge, split bridge+neck, neck. Thoughts?

NotWesYet

Silver Supporting Member
Benedetto. He actually recommends 250k pots. I tried it with a 500k and a 250k and the difference was there. They come in a black chrome as well as the gold, but I think you could pop the cover if you like.

=JL=

IMO, all of them. It's taken years for me to realise that I just prefer them. I use bright amps and like the slight softening of the upper mids I get with 250k pots.

As a bonus you get a less pronounced treble loss when you roll the volume down too.

bigben55

I know the right pickup can. The SD Jazzin the neck of a tele I have proves it. It's the brightest vintage output pickup SD makes though.

Has anyone used a Jazz in the BRIDGE position?

scottosan

Silver Supporting Member
IF you plan on playing anything with moderate gain, then I would disagree with many of the plickups suggestion about sounding good. I say, why compromise? Get a super switch instead of the $2 stock switch this allows endless possibilities to include wiring a 500k resisted in parallel to the hot lug when in split or single coil. Plenty of diagrams out there to do this

beej

Dimarzio Steve Morse model sounds great with 250k pots. (Also splits very well.)

Any of the Bill Lawrence (Wilde) offerings also sounds great with 250k pots. And pair well with their noiseless singles.

metropolis_4

Has anyone used a Jazz in the BRIDGE position?

I've got the Jazz bridge model in the bridge of a guitar.

I really like it a lot, it's bright and has tons of clarity to it. I could see it pairing well with single coils and a 250k pot, but I've never actually tried it

buddastrat

I hate the JB with 250K pot. It's already nasal and it makes it more. Awful. I read Seymour designed it that way and then read that's a rumor. I don't care. It sounded like **** when I tried it, and then when I got a Fender CS strat as well. Listen to this, echh..this is with a 250K volume pot on the JB..

Much prefer a low output, balanced bucker like a '57 or PAF Pro. Bright and clear so the 250K won't sound too dark and muffled,

Mincer

The JB, Jazz, Custom & Custom 5 do, as well as most single coil sized humbuckers.

bigben55

Several votes for a Duncan PAF. Is the PAF Pro significantly different?

On the flip side, which ones suck with 250k/to be avoided? I've had a JB and a JB Jr before. Didn't like either. Too hot.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
One of my custom shop Strats has a Dimarzio Transition in it and the other has a Gravity Storm. They both sound great! Both guitars have the 250k pots and I was considering moving to 500k pots.

fitz

I think most Lower output PAF style pickups would sound good with 250K pots. But it would also depend on the guitar a bit as well. The 250K pot is not far off from a 300k, and the difference in tone and 50k ohms would be inconsequential. Case in point is my Midtown with Burstbuckers and 300K pots. I feel the BB'S are bright pickups and the Midtown is a bright guitar. The 300k pots bring out a sweetness that isn't there with 500k pots. I believe the 250k's would react the same.

It also depends on the circuit. I use 250k with paf style humbuckers but I also don't run a tone control on most guitars. On a LP for example I still use 500k because the two pots in circuit combine to put more load. Two 500k ends up being ~ 250k.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom