Bridge on a Gibson as low as it will go - What's the best way to lower the action?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by MrMunky, Feb 24, 2008.

1. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

I now have this problem with two old Gibsons that I dig too much to get rid of. The bridge is as low as it will go. On one of them the action is at the perfect height. On the other, it's a tad high.

Do any of you folks know of a good way to move the action further downward? I'd like to avoid any major surgery like a neck reset, but I'm at a loss. Does anyone make a low-profile bridge?

2. in a little row

in a little row Member

First thing i think of is to cut deeper slots on the TOM bridge and lower the stopbar as far as you can to ensure proper break angle... and if the bridge is as low as it goes already, can you remove the spacer wheel to get an extra 2mm off the bridge Is a shame you cant achieve the lower action with neck relief

j

3. operanonverba

operanonverba Silver Supporting Member

If straightening the neck out won't do it, you may be able to flat file some metal from the space under the bridge where the adjuster wheel contacts the bridge base. If you don't want to do it to the original bridge, get an allparts replacement and try it out. You could also flat file the adjusting wheel a bit as well. Not the best solutions but better than a neck re-set.

4. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Yea I wouldn't alter the original bridges so experiment on an after market bridge instead. If the neck is close to straight then it does sound like a neck angle problem. That leaves two places for action, nut and bridge, one or both could need lowering.

5. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

Sorry guys if this wasn't clear. I've got the neck as straight as I want it. At this point the problem is the string height at the bridge. Thanks for the tips. These ideas have all occurred to me, I just keep hoping there is some ingenious solution someone has come up with out there.

6. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

If it's worth fixing, then it's worth fixing right.
    Face the facts and get the neck re-set.
    If its done correctly, it will look and play great.