Bridge pickup for CS Strat ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by seeker, Feb 6, 2008.

1. seeker

seeker Member

I've tried the search routine, and haven't found a good solution for the bridge. The problem is this:

I have a '56 NOS CS Strat , a VERY bright guitar compared to my other Strats. Must be the flame maple neck, alder body, flame top, and probably the vintage trem. It's a very "woody" sounding guitar, almost acoustic. I pulled the pups and tried the EMG DG 20 setup first, didn't like the hi-fi sound, so I went with Barden's in all positions, didn't sound like a Strat to me so I yanked those and went with Area '58's in the neck and middle, and HS-3 in the bridge. I love the neck and middle but hate the HS3, the output is much lower than the Areas and very thin sounding. The cleans are great with the HS3, but if you punch it with a pedal , or use even a moderate amount of gain the high frequency distorts. I made the tone mod for the bridge, but still the output is much lower than the neck and middle. I'm into an EJ style that goes from very clean and bell like to an overdriven solo tone, so the bridge has to have a bit more output and also allow a good bit of overdrive for the sustain I need. So I was thinking of trying a HB ( single space ) , maybe a Chopper or Solo. Anyone have suggestions for a good match with those Area p'ups ?

Thanks in advance

H

2. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Silver Supporting Member

tone zone S gets a great sound in the bridge of a strat. A guy here, Harry, I think is his name, has some awsome sounds samples of this pickup. Maybe we can pursuade him to re-post them.

I actually went with a full size tone zone in the bridge of my strat, but yours is not likely routed for a full size humbucker.

3. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I don't know. To me, the HS-3 is amazing with high gain, sucks clean. It's very dull. Yngwie has about the best gainy strat tone on the planet.

I don't like the muddiness of the tone zone and hot rails. The fralin steel poles might be a good compromise. Or the Dimarzio solo pro. More output but still stratty.

4. seeker

seeker Member

Thanks for the replies. The Area's sound great, then I switch to the HS-3 and it sounds like the volume is reduced by 20 % . I've got the height set as close to the strings as recommended. Is it possible it's out of phase ? I wasn't aware that the noiseless p'ups could be out of phase, OR ? Maybe I'll try reversing the red/green connections to see if it improves. Currently I have all three connected with red ( hot ) and green (ground ) . HS-3 has the green/ bare connected to ground.
    Yea, it seemed from the reviews that the HS-3 was the way to go, and I think EJ even used the HS-2 in the bridge.

H

5. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

It was sorta like that when I had one too. They are weak pickups and then it's going in the bridge position too, so there could be a mismatch in volume, unless you get real weak ones in the other positions. They sound very silky to me when under heavy gain and in the front positio on a strat. But it's a one trick pony I guess.