Bridge pickup for Jazzmaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by duaneallen, Mar 3, 2015.

1. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

My bridge pickup for my Jazzmaster recently died and I would like to get a new one. I have a newer set of USA '65 reissue pickups in it now. It died once before, and my tech brought it back to life (don't ask me how), but now it is broken once again. What would be a good replacement? I wouldn't mind something with a little bit more output to it than the original, but not much. I still want to retain the classic, vintage Jazzmaster sound. I'm thinking some kind of Seymour Duncan? What would match well with the '65 neck pickup?

2. m.e.

m.e. Freelance Bio-exorcist Silver Supporting Member

Check out the JM-FAT made by Curtis Novak. It's like a traditional Jazzmaster pickup but with taller magnets and fatter wire. As the name implies, it's slightly fatter sounding than a normal Jazzmaster pickup, but the overall tone is still very Jazzmaster-y. I have one in the bridge position of my AVRI 62, and I really like it.

3. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Member

Check out The Pickup Wizard on eBay. The guys over on the offset forum LOVE this guys pickups, he specializes in Jazzmaster pickups. If you wanted to go vintage, the consensus is, or at least it was the last time I checked, that these are the closest you can get. I'm sure he'll wind something hot for you though. Buy through eBay though, the buy it now prices are cheaper than his website.

4. Thedude99

Thedude99 Member

The Pickup Wizard makes amazing JM pickups.

5. OHSOFUZZY

OHSOFUZZY Member

Yep.

Had Antiquity I & II in my JM, and they weren't bad.
    Pretty clear and bright.
    Then I tried some Pickup Wiz in it, and I'm way happier now.
    A little more output, and little more low end. Still jazzmastery though.

6. gravy

gravy Member

good results here with both lollar and novaks