Bridge pickup placement qustion

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Dr Doom, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

What's the general consensus on how close or far the bridge pup should be from the bridge, and what diff does a slant to the bridge or pup make? Thanks!

2. move

move Member

I've played a Linhof Special and a custom Fano SP6 that had tele bridge pickups with the slant reversed.

The difference is more subtle than I expected but I prefer the backwards angle.

Bass strings sound a little tighter and the high strings have less harsh treble.

3. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

I'm not asking about height, but the distance from bridge to bridge pickup.

4. nashvillefretwork

nashvillefretwork Member

The string vibrates in "nodes" & "antinodes", relatively speaking. So it makes a difference where the pickup "hears" the particular pattern on the vibrating string. The center of the string (around the octave/12th fret) is vibrating at a low, fundamental frequency. The end of the string's (nearest the bridge) vibration is smaller, but faster, so it accents the higher overtones/treble characteristics. What you noticed on the Tele bridge was exactly right, they sacrificed the extreme bite/twang/spank of the Tele's higher strings, effectively mellowing them out. In reverse it is now "hearing" the bass strings at a point where they are vibrating faster and therefore have less fundamental or bottom end. To most, this is counterproductive and would not sound optimum, but definitely a matter of opinion. The classic "split" pickup used in P-Bass type guitars can be staggered to accent the low end (standard) or reversed to brighten up the bottem end, most people prefer the traditional arrangement but several manufacturers use them in the opposite configuration and get a great sound.