bridge pickup upgrade

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dolecek, Mar 30, 2015.

1. dolecek

dolecek Member

can you recommend a pickup upgrade for an epi les paul for the bridge pickup? also can you recommend some better tuners?

2. Funk-O-Meter

Funk-O-Meter Member

I don't play Pauls much so I can't speak to the P/U but as far as tuners go there's nothing wrong with the tuners on Epi's these days. If your having a tuning problem It's probably because of another part of the guitar such as the nut or saddles. I'd have a good tech look at those areas and give it some TLC before going to the trouble of replacing the tuners. Most guitars don't have very good nut work, fret work, or attention to the saddles from the factory except for high end boutique instruments. I've seen custom shop Gibsons that where as offensive as $200 Korean knock off's. Get a good luthier to check into that and have him level and dress the frets if you want to get serious and maybe replace the P/U's and you'll be thrilled.

3. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

I believe the stock Epi tuner these days is OEM 18:1 Grovers.
    There's nothing wrong with the pickups, either. To make a recommendation it might be nice to know what sound you are wanting that you aren't getting.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

What are you looking for in a pickup? Vintage sounds? High gain?

Also, what's your budget?

It's the nut, not the tuners.