• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Bridge Pin Q..

JSeth

Doesn't matter if the pins are flush or sitting up a bit... I'm anal enough that I like them all ~the same...

BUT, the Big Thing to know is that YOUR BRIDGE INS DO NOT HOLD THE STRING IN... not necessary. It's the sideways/lateral/toroidal force of the "wedge" of the bridge pin and the end of the string coming up that acts like a "fat man in a chimney" and will hold it.

The main thing to be sure of is that the ball end of the string is seated firmly against the bridgeplate underneath... if that doesn't happen, then you can get the string trying to pull out, as well as some VERY odd noises and vibrations coming for that 'insecure" pinning. No need to "force it", just seat the ball end in the slot in the pin so that the ball end doesn't bind and pull firmly, but gently... until you can "feel" it's seated firmly against that bridgeplate.

I always used to jam those suckers in there, until a wonderful luthier told me the "facts'... back in the early 70's... since then, one of my pet peeves is to have any tech cram those bridge pins in so tight that I have to use a tool to get the little darlings out of there when I restring next.

Not only is having them flush ancillary to the process, "forcing" those pins in could actually, over time, assist the bridge in cracking if there are any weak grain spots...

I mean, jam 'em in if you want... but the pins are not what keep the string secure, just an assist... just sayin'... been playing and gigging hand-built acoustics for over 50 years... NEVER have had a pin "pop out"...

Last edited:
I don’t know what to tell you. The shop I was at had a very long, close relationship with Martin. It is what we did as part of the pre-sale process. Did you at least install the endpin?
Yes we did. I’m again highly doubtful they would send an expensive instrument and then ask the shop selling them to do such a surgery on the guitar. Why not do it themselves? Why you? I call bull on this. No disrespect intended.

fjblair

Gold Supporting Member
We used a reamer on every single new Martin guitar we sold. None of the guitars were ruined. It is part of what is expected of the dealer when selling a Martin.
+1. I've owned probably ten Martins, I had the bridge slotted and reamed on every single one. Solid pins. No one was harmed in the process, lol.

Last edited:

Bryan T

guitar owner
Yes we did. I’m again highly doubtful they would send an expensive instrument and then ask the shop selling them to do such a surgery on the guitar. Why not do it themselves? Why you? I call bull on this. No disrespect intended.
You literally install the endpin and the bridge pins the same way - ream the hole, install the pin. I honestly can’t fathom why you think this is BS when you did it.

But whatever. To the OP. Your guitar needs to have the holes reamed. Any competent shop can do this. Best of luck.

fjblair

Gold Supporting Member
You literally install the endpin and the bridge pins the same way - ream the hole, install the pin. I honestly can’t fathom why you think this is BS when you did it.

But whatever. To the OP. Your guitar needs to have the holes reamed. Any competent shop can do this. Best of luck.
Agree. I can't understand why anyone would find this controversial.

It would void the warranty to do it. You might have done it, but It wasn’t right. And I know Martin wouldn’t have covered it if you had done damage. Don’t do it OP.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
sorry @themannamedbones but final-fitting of bridgepins, just like final filing of nut slots, is indeed something routinely left to the retailer or even customer.

@Bryan T is right and it's not even especially controversial.

sorry @themannamedbones but final-fitting of bridgepins, just like final filing of nut slots, is indeed something routinely left to the retailer or even customer.

@Bryan T is right and it's not even especially controversial.
I’m not really interested in a debate about this, I’ve never seen it in years of guitar sales, and frankly it wouldn’t make any sense, but believe what you want. I try to respect all beliefs.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
+1. I've owned probably ten Martins, I had the bridge slotted and reamed on every single one. Solid pins.
OK that is a little beyond "final setup", you're actually converting the guitar to unslotted pins (which are superior, i agree)
Now the bridge pins are not fully pushed down; they look like they are out by nearly 1/4 inch. When I attempt to push them down by hand they don't move.
Did the new strings have cloth windings on the ball ends?
this is also a good point, if the pins fit before but don't now then something has changed, probably the strings.

i'm not a fan of silk-wrapped acoustic strings for just this reason, they create an unneeded problem

Trending Topics