Bridge & tailpiece Question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by guitarz_dave, Aug 14, 2006.

1. guitarz_dave

guitarz_dave Member

I recently bought a Heritage H-150CM (pic below). What difference do you think it would make to replace the guitar's Schaller bridge and tailpiece with a Gibson Tune O Matic?

[​IMG]

2. Junior

I've never used that particular Schaller, but I've changed a lot of bridges and tailpieces. To be honest, I don't think it would make enough of a difference to be worth the trouble. My guess is, it would sound a bit less focused. Try raising your tailpiece so the break angle over saddles is the same as the break angle over the nut.

3. LaXu

LaXu Member

Is there a particular reason why you'd want to replace them?

Personally I don't think Gibson's hardware is that great. The design is pretty archaic with the retainer wires and all.

4. rooster

rooster Member

My first Heritage was an H170CM double cutaway with the Schaller hardware. The things I hated were those roller saddles. I much prefer the Nashville bridge on my H150CM with the titanium saddles. I also put on an aluminum tailpiece, cranked it down to the body, and top-wrapped the strings. Those bridges and tailpieces are some of the few pieces of hardware from Schaller I wouldn't want.

rooster.

5. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

I know your asking about the tom bridge but I just thought I throw this up there. I'm building an lp and I will be using the one piece wraparound bridge that is on the 54' oxblood. I'm using it because it is lighter and allows for better vibration transfer. It gives he guitar a more woody tone that I love. You'd have to fill 2 of the mounting holes, but if you don't mind the look of two holes it's worth checking out.

Pigtail munic has a really nice one.

just a thought

6. guitarz_dave

guitarz_dave Member

Actually, the guitar sounds great. I just thought changing to a tune o matic style bridge with hardtail may give it more sustain. I am not focused on Gibson's items, and could consider TonePro's or Pigtail's. I'm just wondering what sort of difference I would likely notice after doing this, if I did it?

7. skylabfilmpop

skylabfilmpop Silver Supporting Member

Roller bridges disperse the downward pressure of the string on the bridge the result is much less energy transmitted into the body and less string volume and sustain, especially in the higher ranges. I replaced the roller bridges on my two 70's guild s-60's with gibson abr-1's, dowelling the stud holes and putting the posts directly in the wood. It took these guitars from cute cheap and funky to amazing viable instruments. In your case the schaller nashville is likely a direct replacement for your bridge check the post spacing and size to be sure. Pick one up for $50 and put it on to hear for yourself. If you choose to go the abr-1 route as it is more vintage correct and sounds better to my ear, more alive and twangy, although admittedly a bit more tempermental, you can have your tech enlarge the post holes in the bridge to fit the schaller studs, or get the WD Music Gotoh narrow tunomatic which is an abr-1 style (identical to the tonepros avr-II minus set screws) but sounds a bit darker than the abr-1 and very similar to the nashville.

8. guitarz_dave

guitarz_dave Member

If I want to get a replacement tune-o-matic style bridge and hardtail, can I just order any that look good, or do I need to specify some dimensions? What do I do about the studs that are already in the guitar where the hardtail attaches to? Can I get a bridge that already has slots in it? I want to make this as easy as possible, and am hoping you can help me through it as simple as so I can just order something and put it on myself.

9. rooster

rooster Member

Stewart-MacDonald has the actual measurements of all their hardware in their online catalog when you click on "specs" under the particular part.

rooster.

10. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Silver Supporting Member

I put an ABR on my Heritage 140 and had to do no drilling. It was a drop on. The lightweight aluminum tailpiece is also an improvement. You have to get new posts with the tailpiece as the diameter is different where it slides into the posts (at least on mine)