Bright Amp For Les Paul

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Nolatone Ampworks, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

Hi all,

If you want that "Kaaaarannnng" sound you get when you hit an open D chord with humbuckers, what amp would you go for?

I'm thinking it needs to be a bright amp with some "jangle" as I think that's part of THAT sound.

I can't think of a good example of a well known tune that has that "kaaaarannnng" sound. I hear it in a lot of AC/DC stuff, but not extremely emphasized. I know a lot of their sound is the JTM45, but seems I've heard that out of a Fender as well.

It's a fairly clean sound, not squeeky clean, but pretty clean, and very NON-compressed.

Any thoughts. I'm trying all these lowever wattage vox-esque and marshall-esqe type amps and none of them do that with my Les Paul. Maybe it's Fender Camp time?

Cheers,

Paul

2. voodoovox

voodoovox Member

I have an old '66 Thomas Vox Tube Pacemaker that has that "krang" with Sgs with P90s or Lps with humbuckers. Not a real clean or loud amp only 15 watts, but it sounds good.

3. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

You should try a Matchless Clubman.

4. 6ringing

6ringing Member

It's vintage Ampeg time!
    Look for a Gemini I. That'll karanggg. And is one of the best deals going. Killer p-t-p amp from the golden age for under $500.

5. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Hey Paul,
    Have you plugged into a Roccaforte Custom 80?

6. scottlr

scottlr Member

My 67 Super Reverb is bright and has that with a LP.

7. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Fender Super or Twin.

8. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Two amps come to mind for me. A JTM45 or my Reinhardt vintage 50. I think a combination of mids, treble and some amp compression are what gives the keeerang I love.

9. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I have heard that sort of sound come from a few of our amps. My first try would definitely be the Electroplex Rocket 90. Then would come things like the Cornford MK50H, Demeter TGA-3, and the Louis Electric tweed Twin head or JTM45 clone. These are not low powered amps.

The low wattage stuff we have doesn't seem that promising going after that sound. Stephenson can do it though in one of the EL84+6V6 modes but it does it a little better with the EL34s added as well. I haven't actually gone in this direction with the 30 Watt Bogner Metropolis Reverb for a long time, but there would be something interesting in there for that as well, although probably a little less sweet and chimey than the Stephenson.

10. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Several will achieve that. Get out to some shops and test some of these suggestions. What have you tried so far?

11. FredW

FredW Member

65amps London is great for that

12. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Tweed Bandmaster, or high quality clone (Victoria, Clark, etc.)

I use a Victoria 35310 and with my Les Paul or 335, I get THE MOST BEAUTIFUL, full sounding "KRANG!!!!" I've ever heard in my life. That amp is worth every penny to me, I'm blown away everytime I plug in. With a Tele, the KRANG, is even more pronounced.

13. Nolatone Ampworks

Trying to find a starting point. I admit that until now I've just been a gear whore, but now I'm looking to accomplish a task and not just snag a cool amp I can wank over.

Until present I must admit I've been caught up in much of the nonsense about boutique point to point wired amps, etc. It it's a boutique amp that does the trip, so be it, but at this point I'm ready to open myself up to what "gets it done" and I'm allowing that may be an amp that my gear snobbish self may not have allowed me to consider before.

I've been looking at lower wattage amps as I'm very concerned about stage volume. We are a house band. We HAVE to have volume at a reasonable level: If you go to a club where a band is too loud, you go back next week because you figure there will be a different band. When you are the house band, you have to have it right because folks know you are gonna be there next week!

I've played/owned the following, and they have given me sounds I like, but not that "caaarannnng", which would be very satisfying as I do several songs with the Les Paul, and I LOVE that sound:

Goodsell Super 17 head through Dr. Z Z Best cab (2x12). I also have a Jenkins Sound Shop 2x12 cab with Weber Alnico Plus Blues. (own)

Fargen Epic 30 SC 1x12 combo (owned)

TopHat Club Deluxe 1x12 combo (own)

Dr. Z Prescription ES Head (own, but not worked with as it's too loud, but WILL use it in the 3 outdoor gigs we have in the next month)

Dr. Z Maz 18 Reverb 1x12 (played)

Dr. Z Carmen Ghia 1x12 combo (played)

Carr Rambler (played, but maybe should re-evaluate)

Various Victoria amps (played, but maybe should re-evaluate)

Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special (almost bought Saturday, but can't get happy with drive channel and the tweaking factor)

Nick Greer Underdog 15 Mod 1 (Own, and love, but not the right sound for all the things I"m trying to do, and SERIOUSLY hotrodded...loud!)

Fender Bassman RI: (played) TOO LOUD!

I've not considered the Fender Hotrod series because, after all, they are very "production line". Maybe I need to pull my head from my a*s and consider these, more for the clean than the overdrive (I've never like the drive channel, but I can't say I've NOT liked the clean).

I still love the idea of boutique stuff because most of it has a luxurious-ness that makes me feel warm and fuzzy and happy (like the moron that I AM! At the end of the day though, I need an amp that will allow me to cover tunes from Beatles, Clapton, Skynrd, Greg Kihn, Joe Jackson, Tommy TuTone, Buddy Guy, Bad Finger, Niel Young, the list goes on. I've got Strat/Tele/Les Paul that gives me guitar selection to get me workable facsimilies of the sounds I need (if not DEAD ON). I've got pedals to lend color (OCD, Direct Drive, BOR, Fulldrive II, RC Booster, etc) I need a basis in an amp that will give me the fundamentals and let me sculpt reasonable colors of dirt crunch on top....all at a reasonable volume (I have a Dr.Z Airbrake if needed, though would LIKE to get by without it!)

I think a LOT of the amps I've been playing are just too dark. Les Paul is the lowest common denominator for darkness in my guitars, and I need an amp that will let that breathe, and I can roll tone controls back to ease the edge on the other guitars.

I hope this makes a shred of sense. Not sure if I'm the only one who's had this particular conundrum. I'm going to keep digging until I hit paydirt (please don't let it be a modeling amp!!!)

Cheers,

Paul

14. Nolatone Ampworks

Wow, I'm currently evaluating a 65 London head and I'm not hearing that in this one. How are you getting this?

BTW, I got to meet Peter Stroud the other day. He was down at Midtown Music in Atlanta, a dealer of his amps. He is a SUPER nice and humble guy. He showed me around his amp in great detail. I was very much honored, and there is a LOT I like about his amps, but I've not coaxed that brighter thing out of it yet. Is it there and I'm just missing it??

Cheers,

Paul

15. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Marshall 1974x is a good choice...i dialed it in pretty bright and got great AC/DC tones.

16. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Your gonna get a million answers to this question.

JTM 45, AC 30, Fender Pro Reverb all have that KKKaaaarrraaannnggg factor if I understand you correctly.

17. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Nice amps on that list. The sound you describe is the sound I go for as well with my LP. I get there with my HRDx, Traynor YBA-1 and my Marshall Studio 15. I think the new AC15CC might get you there too. For lower volume though you might want to try the Studio 15. VERY chimey cleans, excellent dirt and an OD throws you into lead mode.

18. Wallace

Wallace Silver Supporting Member

Speakers...dont forget their influence on your tone!

19. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

My best sounding Kaaaarrrang amp is my Bad Cat Hot Cat 15...NOT the 30, the 15, 1/12 combo...INCREDIBLE for that...EL84's are some of it...the rest is in the design...My Germino Lead 55 on 4 does it pretty well, but not like the little hot cat

20. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

+1 On the Ampeg Gemini I. Stays bright and clean up to about 7 on the volume. In a smaller package a Reverberocket II will also do the job.