Bright cap on a Fender DRRI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by reverber8, Oct 4, 2006.

1. reverber8

reverber8 Member

Forgive the start of yet another thread on this topic but...

I've got a DRRI and although I'm happy with it's tone, I'm finding I need to tweak down the treble knob on the reverb channel to dial out some of the harsh brightness esp when using OD pedals. It's completely stock and I've allowed ample time to allow the amp and speaker to break in. I may eventually swap out the speaker and definately replace the tubes. For right now I'd like to see about saving my $$ for another guitar with a Bigsby. Sorry, I digress...

I've heard that clipping the bright cap is one of the easier mods to do to really help this amp's overall tone. How difficult is this to do and who on here has done this? Did you do it yourself or have a tech do it? How do I find the bright cap? Finally, I'm reluctant to do this because of the dangers associated with the voltages stored up inside the caps. What good is it to have great tone if you're not around to use it?

2. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

3. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    Yeah I looked inside my DRRI chassis and it is impossible to get to any of the pots. There is a long green pcb board that won't move and all the pots are underneath it. I'd love to find out how to clip the bright cap.

Chuck

4. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

The bright cap is located on the board next to the Vibrato channel vol pot. It is C10 on the schematic. To remove the board you have to remove all knobs and nuts from the front panel so you can pull the pcb out from inside the chassis. If you can locate the bright cap on a layout schematic, you can actually unsolder one leg of the cap and push it thru the pcb with a toothpick. This way you don't have to remove the pcb. Here is a link to the layout schematic. Good luck.

http://www.schematicheaven.com/fenderamps/65_deluxe_reverb_manual.pdf

5. procos

procos Supporting Member

Anybody have a picture that could point out where to unsolder? I have the schematic at home but can't be for sure which spot to unsolder?

Chuck

6. procos

procos Supporting Member

I figured it out and unsoldered it. Won't be able to tell what it did to the tone until tomorrow. I can't play it loud enough to tell what difference it will make.

Chuck

7. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

We must hear your opinion procos about the effect, I'm debating doing the mod myself as...yeah..it doesn't like OD pedals that much...like someone else said.

8. procos

procos Supporting Member

Mine loves both my Low Gain and Regular Gain Eternity. To be honest I play the DRRI with the volume on 4 and use the Eternity for overdrive and the amp sounds absolutely killer. I spent more on these 2 Eternity's than I did on the amp. Buying the DRRI was the best $500 I ever spent. I really love this amp.

Chuck

9. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

The mods that changed my DRRI the most were:1) new speaker,2) NOS tubes, 3) install Mercury Magnetics OT and choke, and 4) clip bright cap. I think changing the OT an choke made the biggest improvement in reducing the amps high-end harshness or brittleness. The notes became more clear and had better bloom. Its hard to describe, its like the amp's tone became richer. Highly recommend the MM iron.

10. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

What speaker did you settle on?

gb

11. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

When I bought mine new in 98 it had the Eminence that was terrible. So I immediately replaced it with a Kendrick Brownframe. Huge improvement. About 2-3 monmths ago I put an Emi Cannabis Rex in and it sounded great. On a whim, I tried the Cannabis Rex with my Fuchs in a 1x12 cab and it sounded really good. So I put the EVM 12L that was in the 1x12 in my DRRI. Unbelieveable, the amp sounded unreal. Huge beautiful clean tone and nothing but amp distortion breakup and growl. I will gig both the Fuchs/CRex and DRRI/EVM this month and see how they sound live. For now the DRRI/EVM is a killer combo, except for being VERY heavy!

12. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Yep 4 is about the volume level that's best on those.. I found between 3 1/2-4 on mine and matching the best od's to it, it sounded better than any Fender would ever sound cranked up for gain. Also , there was definitely NO NEED at all to clip the bright cap on mine.. That's all personal preference of course
    Btw, way back when (in the early days of the internet , I bought my Deluxe Reverb RI in Blonde tolex and mint/spotless for 350.00... ) Those were the days.... There aren't many deals anymore unfortunately.. I also got a spotless Bogner 2x12 for 350.00 , a Way Huge Aqua Puss for 100.00, and on and on and on... Not too many deals these days unfortunately as the internet has grown so much. Just reminiscing
    Eric

13. procos

procos Supporting Member

To be honest I like the tone better with the bright cap engaged when playing clean. I actually called Egnater amps today to see if they will install a bright switch so I can either have the bright cap engaged or off.

The tone when I play the amp clean sounds better with the bright engaged but I like the tone best when driving the amp with my Eternity with the bright cap off. So if I can get a bright switch installed I can have the best of both worlds. If I can't get a bright switch engaged I'll just solder the bright cap back on.

Chuck

14. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

How about using an A/B box to use the Vibrato channel with the bright cap as your clean channel and then hit the A/B to send the Eternity to the Normal channel (w/o bright cap) for your drive channel.

15. procos

procos Supporting Member

You know I have to have a tech resolder the bright cap anyways because I can't get the pcb board out to resolder so I might as well have him put in a switch so I can have a choice.

Chuck

16. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Wait till you get the Celestion Blue in! :AOK

17. procos

procos Supporting Member

What shipping company did you use it hasn't shown up yet? How about the Money Order did you get it yet? BTW I just bought a Swart AST Head so I am thinking I am going to use the Blue with that amp instead.

Chuck

18. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

19. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

Can anyone say for sure if the location shown in the photo above is in fact the bright cap?

gb

20. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

Yep, thats it.