Bright fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MylMoosic, Jul 17, 2019.

1. MylMoosic

MylMoosic Member

Hello all! To put it simply, I'm looking for a fuzz with a similar feel and characteristic to a fuzz face, except a whole lot brighter. I'm currently using a fuzz factory, and I have a Roger Mayer axis fuzz clone, but neither is bright enough. Of course I've considered running an EQ after them, but I'm out of power on my board. I have a Big Muff Germanium 4 which I adore, and has an EQ-able section, but it has a similar issue to the fuzz factory being germanium. I love how germanium sounds, but it is just too unstable for when I have outdoor gigs in the summer. I just want a single pedal solution. Currently considering the Roger Mayer voodoo axe, but if anyone knows of something less expensive, I'd be glad to hear it.

2. rwijaya

rwijaya Member

Tonebender type will gets you there. it still clean up like a fuzz face

lovepedal bonetender is really affordable.

3. FokenBusker

FokenBusker Member

Have you considered a germanium based treble booster? TB's are about as bright as you can get. And they sound absolutely killer.

4. MylMoosic

MylMoosic Member

I have, but I feel like they don't have the squishiness/feel of a fuzz face.

I'm tempted by that one in particular. Have you ever played one?

FokenBusker likes this.
  5. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

I can't get Tone Benders to clean up like a Fuzz Face does. They clean, but it's less sweet.

Skreddy Lunar Module Deluxe has some onboard EQ that helps. It's still not super-bright, but it's capable of being much brighter than the average Fuzz Face.

6. Rydock

Rydock Member

The Bearfoot arctic white fuzz is a fuzz face style pedal that has a treble control with a decent range on it. Cuts through a mix and has very dynamic clean up characteristics with the volume knob.

7. CC Overdrive

CC Overdrive Member

Mxr classic fuzz. either the mini, or the full size. brightens up significantly with the buffer engaged.

thomas4th likes this.
  8. thomas4th

thomas4th Member

Sounds like you want a silicon Fuzz Face, then. Alternatively, the DOD Carcosa is a great sounding fuzz that cleans up well and gets as bright as your ears can stand, plus you can adjust the feel/response with the After control.

IAO, Lauri Vennonen, AXXA and 2 others like this.
  9. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

It’s worth trying a TB if you haven’t. The clean up is very similar to a FF but a little different. Definitely not as much fuzz either. I recommend one with a switch or knob to change tone for versatility.

There must be a FF with EQ features. Maybe not very popular but someone has to have made one. Nothing comes to mind but I’ve never searched for one.

DOD Carcosa might be a good option. Super versatile, definitely can get pretty bright and cleans up surprisingly well.

10. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

You should consider running a treble booster into your fuzz. Just set the treble booster to 'unity' and let er rip! And you can crank the booster if you want more fuzz.

Edit: just realized you said you don't have the space/or power on your board. Forget it....

11. alivegy

alivegy Member

I haven't played one myself, but I wonder if an SI Law Bender Fuzz would work for you. It has a tone control, a sag control for compression, as well as a knob that lets you adjust the gain of the first gain stage.

Tabor and MylMoosic like this.
  12. MylMoosic

MylMoosic Member

I have the (arguably) best silicon fuzz face ever, the Roger Mayer axis (Okay, a clone, but still), but it's not quite bright enough to cut through my base tone. The carcosa is nice, but it doesn't compress quite right for what I'm into.

The Roger Mayer Voodoo Axe is the only Fuzz Face with a low cut that I can think of, but it's $150ish bucks and I feel weird spending that much on a pedal with less than 20 components. Treble boosters are nice, but that's not really the sound I'm after. Jimi Hendrix at the Isle Of Wight is my favorite fuzz tone.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway :p

I like the look of that, but it's more than the Voodoo Axe. Looks like that might end up being my option anyway. As a side note, I have been considering a fuzzrite clone, but nobody demos them the way I would use it (Into a dark, dirty amp). Anyone have experience? Also thinking about harmonic percolator clones just because that's such a unique sound.

Lauri Vennonen likes this.
  13. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

so you want all the qualities of a fuzzface but brighter? If so I might shoot analogmike an email. He does every possible variation on that circuit.

If you just want a bright two tranny fuzz, a fuzzrite clone would do the trick.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Big in Japan likes this.
  14. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

The ‘69 Fuzz might be the ticket then. Turning up the Contour control really opens up the mids without compromising the classic Ge FF tone. It can get pretty bright and cutting with the Contour dialed to 3:00 or past. There’s nothing to dial out the lows but that can be done with guitar vol knob.

The Input knob changes the input impedance and allows it to get along with Wah without having to use a buffer.

I really think this might be what you’re looking for. Especially if cutting through is part of your issue. They can be had for $100 or less used, all day.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  15. woof*

woof* Member

Silicone fuzz face.
    They can almost clean up as well as germanium and they are brighter and cut thru better. I use both and prefer germanium, but I understand what your looking for.

Windup 43 likes this.
  16. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

Ko Amps Ko Sound Fuzz was specifically built for a touring band that was having Germanium reliability issues. It’s a mini. It sounds great. It’s Silicon but voiced to sound warm like Germanium. It gets pretty bright but more importantly has nice tight bass.

They’re kinda hard to find. Here’s the manufacturer link:
    https://www.koamps.com/kosound-fuzz.html

17. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

What kind of amp are you using? The Fuzz Factory is very bright normally

I was really into bright Fuzz for a while, and a Twin Reverb made it work well. Too well sometimes!

Big in Japan and Peps like this.
  18. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

From the guys who have tried the newer RCA Sunfaces they say it is bright.

19. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

Magnetic Effects White Atom is a fuzz face type with plenty of EQ and even a high input impedance so you can put something else in front. It's a hybrid SI+GE so it should be more stable. Also check out a Solid Gold FX "If6were9" with the BC183 SI transistor - should sound more like a GE transistor than the 108.

But I also endorse the fuzzrite direction... Basic Audio Zippy maybe?

Or the Percolator idea but those vary widely and some are super dark. The JDM Little Steamer is the clearest and brightest I've tried and it has some EQ control too.

ChampReverb likes this.
  20. guff

guff Member

"Vox Tonebender" aka MK 1.5 (the 2 transistor version)

Peps likes this.