Bright fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MylMoosic, Jul 17, 2019.

1. MylMoosic

MylMoosic Member

I use a Fender Supersonic a lot of the time, otherwise I add a Vox AC15 as a dry amp for wet/dry. I have the tone cut all the way up on the top boost channel. Supersonic has treble on 4, middle on 7, and bass on 5. Very dark settings.

2. equipboard

equipboard Member

It's a budget option but have you listened to the TC Electronic Rusty Fuzz? It sounds good, and is based on a Silicon Fuzz Face.

3. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

Leona V2 is worth a serious look.

You can retain all the brightness of the V1 but you can also control it with the high-cut knob.

It has an Si clipping option for your outdoor gigs.

I absolutely love the pedal. And the builder is a super nice guy.

Note: to match the ferocity of the V1 turn it up (gain, volume) and then work your volume knob like you would with a fuzz face.
    Note2: it's not a Fuzz Face-derivative. It's its own thing [and it's great]. There are loads and loads of tones in that box.

There is a quality vid at the bottom of the below link:

http://stephendouglasdesign.com/leonav2/

Tabor likes this.
  4. JoePerkinsMusic

JoePerkinsMusic Member

My ears were ringing for a week after demoing this one....one of the brightest I've found!

5. Laservampire

Laservampire Member

The correct answer!

I find that MkII Tonebenders are still quite dark, but then again I'm used to playing a Mk1 all the time!

6. Joshua Bernstein

Joshua Bernstein Supporting Member

DOD carcosa can get very bright, and sounds killer!

7. daddyplayedsax

daddyplayedsax Member

Fourth vote for a Carcosa - lots of classic fuzz sounds, bright as you could ever possibly want, and has a bass cut option too for stacking with other gain. If you keep the After fairly low it'll do fuzzface tones with great clean-up but also covers splatty territory with it cranked.

8. MelMann

MelMann Member

The Satisfaction by EHX is very bright, maybe you'd like it.

9. jimk4003

jimk4003 Member

Lovepedal BBB fuzz.

It's a hybrid Fuzz Face clone with a blend knob that blends between Fuzz Face and treble booster. Fully clockwise is straight Fuzz Face. Fully anti-clockwise is a treble booster. In the middle is where the magic happens. Fuzzy tones that are bright and cutting, good clean up, and tons of level boost available.

There's been several versions of the BBB; BBB07's, BBB11's, BBB13's and a limited run of BBB15's (the number denotes the year of production). There are still some around new of you shop about.

I've got a BBB13; it sounds right up your street. If you want a silicon fuzz, the Lovepedal Fuzz Master Si is the same circuit, with silicon transistors.

10. Strange Language

Strange Language Member

The Mojo Hand Crosstown and the Skreddy LMMD both have low cut features. That's just off the top of my head, but I believe that there are several more out there.

fretless likes this.
  11. MartyReasoner

MartyReasoner Member

Something based on the burns buzzaround is my vote. Also check out the catalinbread karma suture

12. Strange Language

Strange Language Member

The RCA Sunface is the brightest GE Fuzz Face I've tried.

Echoplexi likes this.
  13. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

Check out the Cusack Screamer Fuzz Germanium...it has a tone control. There "inline" Screamer Fuzz is updated with a tone control as well but it has silicon, LED, and another mode I can't remember right now.

14. northstar6000

northstar6000 Member

How about the Fulltone Mas Malo. It's like a hot rodded fuzzface. Has a colour knob (tone) which can do real dark or real bright. Plus a Heat knob that changes the bias.

I always struggled with Fuzz Faces and their dark tone.

But the Mas Malo works so well for me. For some reason people think the pedal is Muff based (maybe that's why it flew under the radar), but I can promise it is not Muff based at all.

woof* likes this.
  15. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

vintage correct silicon Fuzzrite would be the obvious choice. Certainly glad to have mine, specifically because I wanted that classic bright fuzz thing. From Spaghetti Westerns, to Inna Gadda da Vita, to the Monkees' Valerie, to I Wanna Be Your Dog; it's "that sound."

16. ElectricWarrior

ElectricWarrior Member

Referring to the "Vox Tone Bender" as a "MK1.5" will only cause confusion. The MK1.5 is a Fuzz Face. The Italian Vox does use the same topology, but different bias and filter setups.

17. guff

guff Member

Yeah for some reason I'm prone to typos where as/of/or/for/from/than and similar get misused as if they're interchangeable.
    I knew the distinction and still got it wrong; "aka" should be "or" but this minutia should not confuse the message of the post: 2 transistor Tone Bender(s) fit the bill.

FWIW when splitting those hairs calling the MK 1.5 a Fuzz Face is equally if not more confusing than my post, for they resemble the same circuit but [it] too has different part values than the Dallas Arbiters.

18. ElectricWarrior

ElectricWarrior Member

Not really. The electrolyitics use slightly different values, but that will hardly make an audible difference as the filters they are part of have their cut-off frequencies in the sub-sonic range.

The bias resistor is different, but they used different transistors as well, so you'd have to compare the voltages. The MK1.5 tends to run slightly hotter (and has a reputation for temperature problems), but they're not far off and there certainly is common ground. My MK1.5 might as well be a Fuzz Face, judging by the voltages.

That's everything Arbiter changed. It's a rather faithful clone.

Many MK1.5s have less low end as they use a 100k Level pot instead of the 500k that was originally used. Apparently Arbiter cloned an early unit...

19. Agent 42

Agent 42 Member

I 2nd the skreddy pedals, I had the hybrid fuzz, Fantastic controls of brightness and the level of fuzz, however you have to consider your guitar Pickups, what pickups are using. It worked fantastic with my Les Paul, I couldn't get super raunchy fuzz with single coils however. But the EQ abilities are fantastic, and more than compensated, It started to become my always on pedal, I finally sold it when I bought my helix system.
    Your fuzz face became famous for Enhancing single coils. so if you're using a humbucker that Might explain your problem Of too much bass.
    https://skreddypedals.com/skreddy_pedals_hybrid_fuzz_driver.php