Bright guitar with P90? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by edi_87, Feb 28, 2012.

1. edi_87

edi_87 Member

Hi, I got this guitar - mahogany / maple body, thin exotic bolt-on neck. Compared to a Les Paul it's rather on a bright side, though it still has a strong mid range.

Currenlty, it's equipped with humbuckers, but doens't get much play. So I thought about putting humbucker sized P90s in it. I have absolutely no experience with the 90s but always wanted to try them. I need vesatile, ballsy pickups, good clean and under gain.

Should I put P90s in this guitar? What's your experience with the 90s in guitars brighter than a les paul?

Cheers,
    Michal

2. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

The new LP tributes use a baked maple board and are brighter than a standard Paul tone. The p90's love it. Imo, it creates the.perfect guitar tone.

3. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

You have pick-ups, pot and cap values to play with here, and anything humbucker-sized to experiment with. From my experience, a neck P90 is quite plummy but a bridge P90 can be pretty sharp. Horses for courses, of course: the Lollars I put in what was previously both a muddy and a shrill LP Special have made it warmer and richer sounding. (The 50s wind is particularly excellent.)