bright orange power tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jdavyd, May 28, 2008.

1. jdavyd

jdavyd Member

has anyone ever seen power tubes light up completely orange? i don't mean in a subtle way, either, i mean as bright as light bulbs on full. if so, what was the cause? this happened to me once a few years ago, and the amp (for me it's a block letter 5150) has been sitting ever since. i've got the bug to have a tech go over it, but am curious as to what i may be in for.

it won't kill me if i don't get it going again, but all the same it's a sweet rock amp so it's a shame to just have it sitting here doing nothing...

2. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Dat be called RED PLATING.

TROUBLE.

You don't wanna blow a screen resistor on a 5150 either- they are a bitch to get at. Have a tech go through it and retube it with something robust (JJ 6L6's seem pretty tough).

3. jdavyd

jdavyd Member

i should mention that a tech went over it a few months before it happened, replaced the power tubes and the "bias resistors." at the time i had no clue what resistors were but i took him at his word. the consensus has been "get a new amp tech." heh. no doubt.

4. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

You're talking about the actual plates being a reddish/orange color, right? If so - that is indeed red plating - which is not a good thing. The tubes are running to hot. It's usually a symptom of the bias being to hot.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Or even more likely, the bias circuit has a problem.