Bright sounding Germanium Fuzzface?

Roe

What is the best brightest sounding Ge FF you are aware of?

I need something that works with P90s, PAFs and plexis that can cut thru the mix (or at least not disappear completely)

I'm not looking for Si FFs, thanks

CEFlint

MojoHand Crosstown is a Germanium/Silicon hybrid. Maybe not what you're wanting, but it'll do what you're asking. Great sounding fuzz with many guitar/amp combinations.

L0ki

:agree

The tone knob on the Crosstown will brighten it up a whole lot.
The Body knob will get you plenty of Ge wool or smooth it out, depending on what you want.
It'll clean up with the guitar Vol knob, too.

The Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face is pretty bright IMO. The Chase Tone Fuzz Face replica I have is a bit brighter than my Dunlop red fuzz face also. The Chase Tone is my favorite fuzz pedal that i have hands down.

HughesP

Earth Quaker Devices Dream Crusher is a great, bright ge fuzz face. LOVE that pedal with humbuckers and p-90s.

e-flat

Silver Supporting Member
Are you trying to find something that keeps the fat low end of a Fuzz Face, but with more "cut" in the highs? Or would you like something with less low end ?

A two transistor Vox Tonebender style fuzz would be an option if you want less bass and a brighter tone.... More mid focused IMO. The circuit is very similar to a Fuzz Face, but input & output cap values are brought way down resulting in a less wooly low end. I liked this type of circuit a lot when I used to play an SG with PAF type pickups... I love a Fuzz Face for low output single coils though.

Lolaviola

Silver Supporting Member
Are you trying to find something that keeps the fat low end of a Fuzz Face, but with more "cut" in the highs? Or would you like something with less low end ?

A two transistor Vox Tonebender style fuzz would be an option if you want less bass and a brighter tone.... More mid focused IMO. The circuit is very similar to a Fuzz Face, but input & output cap values are brought way down resulting in a less wooly low end. I liked this type of circuit a lot when I used to play an SG with PAF type pickups... I love a Fuzz Face for low output single coils though.
Yeah. A Tonebender mk 1.5

2061X

The Sunface with either the TI/UK or the high gain white dot NKT275 transistors is quite bright.

However, I tend to like the much darker red dot NKT275 Sunface better with my SG with '57 pickups ... YMMV

4styx

If you have an OD kicking around ,stack it(guitar>low gain OD>FF). Heresy I know,but it works great for what you're after.

Roe

actually, I prefer less bass, or cleaner bass, than a typical fuzz face. I will try to see if I can check out the tonebender - is this the mk 1.5?

EDIT: I see it's 1.5 - thanks

Last edited: