bright tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ryguy, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Ryguy

Ryguy Member

I am coming to realize that the relative lack of highs I tend to perceive in many of my amps is mostly due to hearing loss, since what sounds dark to me rarely does to anyone else.

So I am still tweaking the couple of amps I have trimmed down to get the desired amount of presence/brightness for me. I have been swapping speakers, and am pretty happy with the results; what I haven't tried much is swapping tubes.

I have a 26V6 amps, and a 26l6 amp; are there any particular brands of power or pre-amp tubes, new or NOS, that I should be looking to try to get what I'm after?

2. mmorse

mmorse Member

I've always found Telefunken and Amperex ax7s to be on the brighter side.

3. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

Regular tubes...TungSols are an inexpensive tube to try. They have brightened up 2 different amps that I have better than several others I've tried.

4. packermann

packermann Member

I like the Electro Harmonix 12AX7s for brightening up an amp. I have also heard that TungSols have a nice open/bright tone.

As we get older I think we need a little more high end to get us back to the tone we imagine in our heads. It is also a good idea to record once in a while to have others and yourself listen in a controlled environment to your tone. I think you can learn from other people's comments too.

One of the things that works for me is running two amps simultaneously. I set one up with more high end and the other with a little more midrange. I then adjust levels between the two amps to taste. I also prefer underwound single coil pickups to standard wound as they are naturally brighter.

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Ei 12AX7's have a detailed top end.

6. bazooka47

bazooka47 Member

+1. I threw a set of Tung-Sols in my RI Tweed Deluxe and it was noticeably brighter than it was with the stock tubes. Me likee.

7. Ryguy

Ryguy Member

OK then I guess I need to by me some TungSol 12AX7's.

8. RockDC

RockDC Member

That highend tone is going to be either in the pre-amp tubes or in a mod. I'd try the 12ax7 Sovtek WBXT, or the EH12ax7's Both have lots of highs... also JJ pre's are pretty bright but I usually steer clear because they make my amps fizzy.

9. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

As far as new production in my experience Tung sol are the brightest.

As far as older stuff Jan Philips are bright. Bugle boys are bright and probably also the among the most musical tubes IMHO.

10. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

Ummmm....JJs are pretty dark.

11. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Not to be a turd in your punchbowl, but... don't you think you might now be trying to get a sound that will bug the heck out of others who don't have the high-frequency hearing loss? Maybe it is best not to compensate for that.

If you haven't already done so, I recommend getting a hearing test from an audiologist, just to find out what's up.

Of course, you can certainly suit your own taste as you see fit. Brightest NOS 12AX7 I know of are Raytheon and Sylvania long black-plate versions. The Raytheon will break up earlier than the Sylvania.

Best of luck!

- Thom

12. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

13. PFCG

PFCG Member

EHX for sure will make it brighter, probably as bright as you want.

14. rockon1

rockon1 Member

+1 on having you hearing professionally checked.

Raytheon black plates are probably the brightest tubes I have. They seem brighter than the Sylvania's to me. Too bright for my tastes but they sure look purdy! Bob

[​IMG]

15. cmaciag

cmaciag Supporting Member

I agree on getting the ears checked. I did it a while ago.. found out I was still 20/20... just wonder what I was before my hearing started going a little.

tungsols are brighter than eh to me. EH are my standard go to.. and sound fuller. the tungsols seem thinner to me... and thus brighter.

But don't kill the crowd with treble if yr high end is going.

Also... speakers will probably make a bigger difference than tubes.. but they cost alot more to swap out and test.